PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 Install in a TJ

Lax22
03-19-2009, 08:50 AM
I have been thinking about installing an 8.8 into th rear of my tj for some time now. A little intimidated by the work involved with the brackets and all that so would probably need some experienced help but needed to ask some questions first. right now i have an 8.8 that is set up for a custom 4-link suspension in a ZJ that i was able to get from a guy for free. It aleady has coil buckets, shock tabs, and lower control arm brackets welded in. It also has a truss with two link tabs welded on top for the extra links.

What would i have to do or get to make this bolt into my tj? Are the spring perches, lower control arms, and lower shock mounts set differently on TJ's and ZJ's? Also would i need to have any mods done to teh driveshaft? Do you guys think i could make the axle work with the current bracketry or should i buy a complete kit. Just trying to make this work right for minimal money.

Thanks in advance guys

-Bart

Jeepster
03-19-2009, 02:19 PM
drop us a couple of pictures of the axle.

If the brackets are set up in a good triangulated 4 link patern then modify the jeep mounts to take the axle. This would be better than going with the stock 5 link setup. And probably less work.

If the axle brackets are not done right then cut them off and start over.

Either way I doubt it would just work with the TJ brackets but you never know.
Pictures will help.

Lax22
03-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Here is teh original picture of it installed in the previous owners ZJ. The only difference is that the spring perches no longer sit that high up.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m192/md4wheelin/117.jpg

I will snap some more when i get a chance. have to work tonight but i'll get some tomorrow.

YJHAMMER11
03-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Check out the Rischel Drive Shaft.

Lax22
03-29-2009, 01:08 PM
any further suggestions or opinions? Anyone willing to give me a hand? Just need some direction. I have found a few kits online for relatively cheap. Can i run this without a sye or should i get one?