PDA

View Full Version : Need help from the HRC community!

Lax22
12-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey all!

I am trying to get rid of the electronic t-case in my blazer to make way for my solid front axle and I need a little bit of help from the HRC community to track down some parts so I can install my manual 231 t-case. What I need is the manual shifter, cable, cable support bracket, and center console out of a 95-97 s10/blazer 4x4 that came with the manual floor shift 231C t-case. I know itís a long shot but any help you guys can give will be greatly apprechiated! I will keep looking for a truck that I can pick on but if any of you run acrosse anything could you please let me know.

Thanks
Bart

Gunny
12-03-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm not familiar with the Blazer set up, but wouldn't a completely Mechanical set up work? (no cable)
In the Jeep, there's a mechanical linkage mounted directly to the transmission/transfer case and the shifter just pokes up through the hole in the floorboard along side the shifter.
All else fails, this could all be built from scratch.

Lax22
12-03-2007, 04:30 PM
The thought of using one like that has crossed my mind and if i get down to the wire i may have to go that route and fab something up. the older style s-10 blazers and pickups actually used a chain style linkage which would bind while the later models used a cable which is more reliable with smoother operation than the older setups. For now i am going to try and find all the factory pieces so i can keep it looking somewhat clean. but that a good idea if things get close. deadline is the weekend after new years. In the meantime anybody want to help me rebuild my 231 case? Mainly just cracking it open and making sure its all sound and resealing it with some new RTV sealant Maybe replace the front yoke since its a little rough. I can buy the beer:cheers:

Lax22
12-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Not the right section to discuss this but do you think we could make a home made cable shifter to work with the 231? I was thinking about it durring my down time at work. Whats your take on this.:confused:

Jeepster
12-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Well short answer is Yes.
Long answer is look thru the Advanced adapters site. they have Cable shifters for there Atlas.
Or lets look thru the junk yards.
We can also just find a Nice Push Pull cable then build our own leaver to actuate it.

So yes But need more research and a plan.

Lax22
12-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Yeah i went to brandywine in mechanicsville and they had nothing that i could use. Jegs sells cable shifter with threaded ends that could work and they sell them in different lengths so i though that they were a good affordable choice, about $39.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_11091_-1_10137
The 94-97 231C equipped s-series trucks and blazer actually used the cable shifter set-up but the only problem is they are hard to find since it was rare to see a truck with a manual shift in the late model ones. Any help would be greatly apprechiated Dion since i know you are the parts man:cheers:

Jeepster
12-06-2007, 08:54 PM
My Girlfriend will check the computer tomorrow.
She works at Savemore autoparts in Fort Washington.
This will cover all the brandywine yards and see what they have.

Mowillys
12-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Dion, I have a hand crimper ( ewww, that didn't come out right) used it to crimp cable ends for my e-brake cables, if y'all decide to fab your own set-up. Please use aircraft grade stainless cable, it won't rot or break anytime soon.

Tank

Lax22
12-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Sounds good Dion Thanks alot, just keep me posted:cheers: I have looked on their online database before and could really find anything but hopefully she has better luck than me:compwork:

Jeepster
12-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah the online database suxs.

But there inventory system works good.
She'll be able to tell if they have a vehical in that range. At which yard and how long it's been there.

Then it's just a matter of going up and find the parts if there still there.
I know save more moves between 20 and 40 cars a week. so it's always changing.

Lax22
12-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Yeah I don't imagine they keep to many cars in the yard up the road like that. The one in mechanicsville, where i usually go, on the other hand seems like there are the same ones there all the time. I have been there 5-6 times since i have been home from college for the summer and they have had the same two wranglers sitting in the same spot and it looks like no one even picks on them at all. I went there a couple of weeks ago and they had one 231 case but no shifter parts. Cant wait to hear what she has to say hopefully some good news!

Lax22
12-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Any news from you guys hahaha just checking becuase i am still looking:compwork: but keep hitting dead ends.

Jeepster
12-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Yes I have news.
But it's not good.
Brandy Wine truck parts shows one 95 blazer.
But they can't verify cable or electric shift.

On a good note. I was at Brandywine of Southern maryland (in Oakridge, md on 235) They have a dana 60 still in a 97 Dodge truck. 4:10 gears. Driverside drop, Ball joints instead of Kingpins. Should be able to bargain him down to about $700 if anyone is interested in it.

Lax22
12-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks Dion I will have to keeo hunting:compwork: Good find on the 60 though:cool:

Tom
12-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Dion, is that wider than yours?

Yes I have news.
But it's not good.
Brandy Wine truck parts shows one 95 blazer.
But they can't verify cable or electric shift.

On a good note. I was at Brandywine of Southern maryland (in Oakridge, md on 235) They have a dana 60 still in a 97 Dodge truck. 4:10 gears. Driverside drop, Ball joints instead of Kingpins. Should be able to bargain him down to about $700 if anyone is interested in it.

Jeepster
12-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't know how wide it is.
I didn't have a tape measure with me and I was in dress cloths.
Being a Single wheel truck it should be Narrower than mine. But not sure how much.
If I had to guess I would say between 65" and 68" on the width Wheel flange to wheel flange.
But that is a WAG.