PDA

View Full Version : Mark's Beasty Build

Gunny
12-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Back to work I go. I'll be working on the beast this Friday at Mark's garage.
To do list includes finishing out the rear tub/floor, and possibly building mounts for the Propane tank.
Anyone with sheet metal skilz or wanting to learn, can come on by.
PM me for directions if interested.
I'll be starting around 8am.

Tom
12-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Sweet.. I'd love to check it out but I'll be working on my own pig that day.. Got the tranny half disassembled already. Friday I should be well on my way to having parts scattered all over the garage floor :)

Gunny
12-11-2007, 04:57 PM
That's cool. What are you doing to the tranny? Just going through it?
Some day, I've got to go through Marks Dana 300 and put the twin stick on it.
Maybe I should do that before finishing the floor.

YJHAMMER11
12-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I saw Wendy (Mark's Bride) this evening in town. She said he was doing well and mentioned you were back to work on it this weekend. I will check with the gorls and see if I can drop by

Tom
12-11-2007, 07:12 PM
That's cool. What are you doing to the tranny? Just going through it?
Some day, I've got to go through Marks Dana 300 and put the twin stick on it.
Maybe I should do that before finishing the floor.

Switching output shafts. Removing the 4L60E's 2WD shaft and installing a 23 spline. Unfortunately you have to tear it all apart to do it because the C clip that holds it in sits in the middle of the tranny :butthead:

slorocco
12-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Can't do it Friday, some of us are working :(

Are you working on it at all on Sat or Sun?

Bounce
12-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Gunny will be working on it a couple of hours on saturday from about 8-2...

Gunny
12-13-2007, 07:44 AM
As my baby girl said, I'll also be working on it for a few hours Saturday. That is if Miss Wendy is there to let me in.
Starting at 8 am both Friday and Saturday.
Thanks

Jeepster
12-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Switching output shafts. Removing the 4L60E's 2WD shaft and installing a 23 spline. Unfortunately you have to tear it all apart to do it because the C clip that holds it in sits in the middle of the tranny :butthead:

Hey you could pick up a Dodge pickup for $200 and rebuild it. They you have a good daily driver.
I just saw the pictures.

Tom
12-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey you could pick up a Dodge pickup for $200 and rebuild it. They you have a good daily driver.
I just saw the pictures.

I will be looking for a pickup in the spring, but am leaning towards a used 2500 (chev/gmc). Mainly for use as a tow rig. Something '00-'05 years.

Tom
12-14-2007, 04:37 PM
What did ya get done today Gunny? I'll probably stop by Sat morning to have a peek at it.

Gunny
12-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Lot's of prep work, with it sitting for several months.
Then put in two more roll bar cross bars, a couple floor braces, a cross brace, tank plates, tank straps, twin stick's mocked up, pass seat bracket.

Tomorrow we'll be sheeting the floor behind the seat's and figuring out how to fill in the fenders.

Gunny
12-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Finished the propane tank area and started on the rear floor area. Added the fender support behind the skin and tied it into the roll cage.

Trying to plan a below floor battery box now to keep them protected, but out of the way.

Mark, what do you think about below the tool box area. It would move some weight back. Dual battery box and you can run 1 or 2 battery's from.

Here's a couple pic's of the progress so far.

Tom
12-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Nice work. Any pics of the entire thing?

I'm still out in this cold garage working on my tranny.. Got the new output shaft in finally. Fluid is everywhere though - on me, the garage floor, across the kitchen floor.. (just kidding Honey :D). Thank God for kitty litter..

Gunny
12-16-2007, 08:22 AM
No pictures of the whole thing other than old ones. Here's what I had to start with and then a teaser of the cage.

Bigbear
12-17-2007, 06:21 AM
Gunny, as always looks awsome
I had thought we would put battery's up under front dash on passenger side
If you don't like that area then put um where you can fit them best to date you've always had better ideas and later if it doen't suit us we can always move them
The goal now is get it finished and running so by March we can rebuild the axles and go wheeling.:cheers:

Gunny
12-17-2007, 06:53 AM
I got the twin sticks mocked up and we have some fit issues.
The existing shifter support pushes the shifters too far forward and they come close to hitting the front of the cross brace. If I try to move them back, they bind with the shifter support.
Tried to remove the shifter support, to shorten it, but it hit's the transmission on it's way out. May be something we have to work out, once we remove the body for painting, or when we pull the TC for the 4-1 kit.:D

Also, I installed the trans shifter to check clearance with the TC shifters. It comes very close to hitting the dash. Like within a 1/2 inch.
Probibly have to torch it and bend it back to where you can reach it while strapped in and to clear the dash you have planned.
Any way, the Twin sticks are way out of reach and the left one crosses the base of the trans stick. They will most likely need to be modified as well.

Also looked at your welder. The relay for the wire feed motor is switching, or sounds like it, but the wire feed motor isn't turning. Removed the tension from the wire, and still not turning. I took my welder back over to your place.

But good new. I stayed at a Holiday Inn once.

Gunny
12-18-2007, 04:40 PM
I'll be back at it again this weekend at Mark's, Saturday and possibly Sunday.
Don't really NEED help, but if someone want's to come by and lend a hand, your welcome.

Gunny
12-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Didn't get to work on Marks buggy over the past long weekend, but hopefully will this coming CWS weekend. Best thing about this week is it's only a two day work week:D .
If Mark agree's I'll be working on it Friday and Saturday.

Bigbear
12-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Gunny,
Come on over
I have to work in the am FRI until about 1pm but will leave the door open for you to get started.
One of the things I need help on is hooking up the blower to the tractor, they sent me the wrong unit and want your opnion on seeing if we can fabricaqte mounting parts to make it work
The unit they sent me is a commercial unit and much better than the original but doesnt have brackets to mount it up.

Gunny
12-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I'll be there in the morning. Gonna try and duplicate on the right side, what I did to the left. Wish me luck.

See ya when you get home.

Gunny
12-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Couple of pictures of the progress from this weekend. We got the back end pretty much boxed in.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_1773a.jpg

Couple of little touch up areas on the inside to work on yet. This will be covered completely in Line-x.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_1775a.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_1774a.jpg

The sunken area is where the battery's and the tool box will go and the tabs in front of that is where the propane tank bracket's will mount, something like this.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_1771a.jpg
(http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/?action=view&current=IMG_1771a.jpg)

Tom
12-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Great work Jim.

Gunny
01-07-2008, 07:15 AM
No new photo's yet. It's going slow, but were still making progress. Did a lot of fill in welding and touch up work on the rear panels Saturday. Then I started tackling the driverside floorboard, pedal area. Ended up moving the power assist brake booster outboard about an inch and a half to give us room for the gas pedal. Were using the stock CJ brake and clutch pedals, but cutting them down in length to fit the application. Then adapting the mechanical clutch pedal to a Hydraulic master and slave cylinder to the clutch fork. Fun Fun

YJHAMMER11
01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
That back floor looks good, did you bend it? Have you tried the Tig on it???

Gunny
01-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Yeah, it's a compound bend. No tig yet. I'm planning on getting everything fabricated, bend up and tacked into place with the MIG, then coming back with the TIG it seal it all in. Don't need to seal it completely as were either coating it with Line-X or Durabak to seal it all in. Still need to build the enclosed battery box for the rear, but it will have two battery's side by side.

I'll be working on the floorboards again for a few hours Friday morning, then all day Saturday if anyone wants to stop by and check it out.
Got some running around to do Friday afternoon, so won't be around then.

MoJoe
01-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Looking nice Gunny. How about you build me a buggy this weekend when you get a chance!!!

slorocco
01-08-2008, 06:41 AM
I'm planning on getting everything fabricated, bend up and tacked into place with the MIG, then coming back with the TIG it seal it all in.

Man, I can't chew gum and walk at the same time, so my hat's off to you if you're going to TIG that whole thing.

Gunny
01-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Man, I can't chew gum and walk at the same time, so my hat's off to you if you're going to TIG that whole thing.
I guess I should have said TRY to TIG. I've only tried it a couple times.
So what better time to learn, than on someone elses vehicle?
"Step back Mark, it looks better from 6 feet away"

YJHAMMER11
01-08-2008, 08:44 PM
If he learns we can now do weld on bead locks on aluminum wheels:)

Gunny
01-09-2008, 06:32 AM
If he learns we can now do weld on bead locks on aluminum wheels:)
Aluminum is twice as hard, plus with the amount of impurities in aluminum, it would be nearly impossible to get an air tight seal.

Gunny
01-12-2008, 05:47 PM
No pictures, but we finished off the inside tunnel and mounted the pedals today.
Also started building the dash. The interior has a few things to go. Still need to finish off the dash across to the passinger side, mount the passinger grab bar, and install the steering shaft, gauges, and build an electronics panel on the tunnel cover. (Parts, I need Parts Mark.)

Next weekend were building rear tube fender flares that tie into the cage. Then the back of the buggy will be finished and we'll be able to check off one of about 50 things left to do. (Help, I need Help. Who wants to help bend tubing?)

I need to make a list of what's left to do. That way when Mark comes home and tells me he would like me to do something else, I'll add it,,,,,,,, to the END of the list.

slorocco
01-14-2008, 07:29 AM
I'll come over and help with the tubing. Are you working on it next weekend?

Gunny
01-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Only on Saturday and Sunday. :D
I've been working on a build sheet for Mark. It's LONG...........

bruce
01-14-2008, 03:22 PM
what time are you starting?

i'll swing buy

Gunny
01-14-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm usually there by 8am and close up shop around 4-5pm.

Tom
01-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Finally got to see the beast in person. What a cool project.

Huge thanks to Gunny and Mark for all their help with my battery box. I owe you both big. It looks like it's going to fit no problem.

Gunny
01-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Great, Tom.

Finished the passinger side dash area today, besides working on Toms battery box.
Tom helped us with the right side rear fender flare before he had to run.
Mark and I knocked out the left rear fender flare before calling it a night.
Tomorrow we'll plate the top and then start knocking out other items on the check list.

Sioux
01-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Looking nice Gunny. How about you build me a buggy this weekend when you get a chance!!!

Yeah, right after he finishes our closet rebuild, Lindsay's closet rebuild, the addition to the house, his garage and my 48 Willys rebuild. I'll send him over your way. Better yet does any one know how to clone a Gunny! :eek:

Gunny
01-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I wish I had a clone so I could do twice as much work.
Finished and checked off the rear fenders flares from Marks buggy.

Came home in time to watch the games.
Also started :explosion: those closets during comercials.
Should have the framework and sheet rock hung tomorrow. As cold as it's going to be outside, I'm glad I'm not working in Marks garage.

MoJoe
01-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, right after he finishes our closet rebuild, Lindsay's closet rebuild, the addition to the house, his garage and my 48 Willys rebuild. I'll send him over your way. Better yet does any one know how to clone a Gunny! :eek:

I will make you a deal, he builds my buggy and I do all the carpentry work.:cheers:

Gunny
01-22-2008, 06:18 AM
If I could just stop going to work, but keep getting paid, I'd be able to get it all done. Anyone know of a job like that?

slorocco
01-22-2008, 07:02 AM
If I could just stop going to work, but keep getting paid, I'd be able to get it all done. Anyone know of a job like that?

If you find a job like that, I'm getting in line right behind you. Sounds like you and Mark are making good progress. Sorry I couldn't make it over.

Gunny
01-24-2008, 08:52 PM
I'll be at the garage Friday and Saturday, working on Marks buggy, if anyone gets bored and needs to get out of the house for a while.

Hope to have some updated photo's by the end of the weekend as well.

Shoot me a PM for directions.

slorocco
01-25-2008, 06:44 AM
I'll try to get over there tomorrow morning for a few hours.

Blackshoe
01-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Some shots from today.

Gunny
01-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Had a good day at Marks. Finished the tube work for the front fender flares and plated the right side.
Moved onto the exhaust for a change of pace. We're wrapping the right exhaust forward under the shallow part of the oil pan, and then Y'ing into the left pipe. Single exhaust out the drivers side, away from the transfer case and front driveshaft. I was checking out the exhaust manifold and figured out I've got to relocate the engine mount some. It was an ugly motor mount anyway's, so I wanted to redo it from the start. So that's the next progect.

Blackshoe
01-26-2008, 05:10 PM
A couple of shots from today.

Tom
01-26-2008, 06:05 PM
It's 7pm and I'm still out in the garage. What's your excuse? :loser: I'm about to call it quits for the day though. I'm exhausted. Just fabbing up a plate to mount a fuse block/relays real quick.

Looking good. The exhaust pipe expanders came in. Let me know if you need to use em. I also still have your hole saw kit that I need to get back to you.

By the way, was going to tell you that I'm having the same issue with the motor mount. I thought about running a drivers side manifold on the pass side on mine, but looks like the mount is going to be in the way. I'm just going to run both pipes back and meet into a Y behind the pan I guess.

Gunny
01-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Worked a little more today. Finished up the right front fender, except the top plate near the hood.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_1868.jpg
(http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_1868.jpg)

Gunny
01-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Rebuilt the right engine mount, using the beefier 3/8 tabs and a new bent tube, to clear the exhaust. Exhaust will rout under the shallow part of the oil pan and tie into the left side.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_1865.jpg

MoJoe
01-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Some nice work brother. The front fenders is what I want. We need to talk.:)

YJHAMMER11
01-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Fenders look nice, good job

Gunny
01-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Here's the floorboard and pedals installed.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_1872.jpg

Other side of the firewall shows the Hydraulic Brake Booster.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_1867.jpg

And just because I like this picture, some cage work.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_1718a.jpg

sam025
01-27-2008, 08:09 PM
looks great!

YJHAMMER11
01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
It would be interesting to know the before and after weight.

What do you figure 4500 when it is all said and done??

Gunny
01-28-2008, 08:40 PM
What do you figure 4500 when it is all said and done??
I bet your at 4500, so go up.
Dana 60, Corp 14, Hmmwv wheels, full cage.
Just guessing here, and I could be way off, but at least 5000.

slorocco
01-29-2008, 06:52 AM
With that kind of weight you're up in Mog territory.

I bet your at 4500, so go up.
Dana 60, Corp 14, Hmmwv wheels, full cage.
Just guessing here, and I could be way off, but at least 5000.

Gunny
02-01-2008, 06:30 AM
I'll be at Marks most the day Saturday. We'll be putting Bill Dodson's YJ up on the lift to check out a vibration and for some general PM, if anyone wants to come over.

Also, I'll be dragging the Dana 60 out of hiding to mock up a hydraulic ram mount.

PM me for directions and a phone number. (Before Saturday Morning Tank!)

Gunny
03-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Mark just emptied the wallet on parts this past weekend, so we'll be hitting it hard again soon.
Ordered: Full Hydraulic steering kit, steering wheel and shaft, tubing disconnects, high steer arms, greatlakes diff cover, and kingpin rebuild kits for the Dana 60.

I'll be out of town this coming weekend, but plan on tearing into things again the weekend of 4,5,6 April.

ehall
03-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Gunny these are the angled standoff rings (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294925228+4294923437+115+4294 821833) I was talking about. It might help solve your space problem. Maybe a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood mounting board would help too. Just a thought.

Tom
03-23-2008, 04:33 PM
I'll be out of town this coming weekend, but plan on tearing into things again the weekend of 4,5,6 April.

Let me know if you need a hand. Or a donut.

Gunny
04-06-2008, 06:26 PM
I spent the better part of Friday and Saturday working on Marks beast.

Tore down two Hmmwv wheels, cut out the center and welded in a new wheel center. Also cut off the run flats from the bead locks.
(Waiting on the new outer rim guards and O-rings to rebuild the front wheels.

Finished the tube work up front (grill guard and frame supports) and started working on some dimple die plates for the stinger.:cool:

Mounted the steering shaft brace under the dash. (Still waiting on the Full Hydro kit from PSC).

Finished bolting the springs to the front 60, and inserted new bushings.

Built a slave cylinder bracket for the bell housing and mounted the slave.

Drilled the firewall and mounted the clutch Master cylinder.

He has a bunch of parts on order, so once they all come in, we'll be knee deep in building the front axle. (gears, ARB, ram, kingpin rebuild, high steer arms, great lakes diff cover, tube disco's, etc.)

Tom
04-06-2008, 06:41 PM
I should have came over. I didn't do a damn thing this weekend with this crappy weather. Lack of motivation was partly to blame.

Gunny
05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I'll be back at it this Saturday at Marks if your bored. 0800-whenever!

I have the outer beadlock rings to weld into the front wheels.
Removeable Hyd Ram mounting plate to build for the 60.
Kingpin knuckles to rebuild.

Mark, did you get the Beadlock O-rings?
If so, the front wheels to re-assemble and tires to groove.

Tom
05-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I'll see how busy I'll be on Sat. I need some 60 OJT.

Gunny
05-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Mark and I got a lot accomplished at the garage this weekend.
I've got the 60 all welded up, and this removeable Hyd mount is awsome, if I must say so myself.
Also welded up one of the outer beadlock rock rings and they look great too. Just ordered the ARB and we have the gears and install kit, so we'll be having a gear install party soon (Derik?)

The rest of the time was spent cleaning up and mounting lights above the benches in the back of the garage. Plenty of work space there now to build axles, and other cool projects in the near future.

This coming weekend, we'll be tearing apart Bill's YJ and putting in the new JK Rubicon axles, so if your available Friday afternoon or Saturday, come on over.

Gunny
05-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Do we have an ARB yet?

Bigbear
05-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately not, Icalled him yesterday and he says maybe on Tuesday
Will you have time tomorrow to help me in the am ,I'm gonna try to get a Power steering rebuild kit for the jeep and see if we can stop the leakage that puddling up my nice clean driveway??

Gunny
05-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Sure. Bill received his brake hose kit for the rear axle, so we could put that in too.

Gunny
05-25-2008, 06:10 AM
No luck finding a Steering box rebuild kit this weekend, but it's on order.
We took apart the PSC steering box and it was pretty corroded inside. Not a good cadidate for a rebuild. This is the old steering box that Mark had on when we went to Tellico a few years ago.
Guess we'll be pulling the one that's on his yellow CJ to rebuild.
Anyone else have a spare saginaw box laying around that they don't want?

YJHAMMER11
05-28-2008, 08:16 PM
My axles had one attached and I think it might be at Dericks. Could have been scavenged by now though

Gunny
06-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Mark, do we have the ARB yet? Gears? Install kit? Can we set up a gear install clinic at Deriks yet?
I'd like to get that wet blaster from Dion to try out on the axle before we take it over there.

I'm back!!!!!!!!!!

Bigbear
06-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Welcome back
Yes ARB and all parts plus axle seals are ready for a good clinic

Tom
06-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Mark, let me know when you and Gunny will be working on the beast this weekend. I'll come by with some catalogs for the wiring stuff and the three of us can discuss a plan for it.

Gunny
07-26-2008, 09:37 AM
This summer has been busy but I've finally made a little progress. We installed the ARB and gears yesterday. P:).
I was just checking the "to do list" and thougth I'd rattle off a few things we may need some help with.

Things to Fabricate
Battery box
Winch plate
Passinger grab bar (extendable with bike grips)
Seat belt tabs
Shoulder seat belt bar
Battery Cables
Air tank mount (for the ARB)
Radiator mount
Drive shafts
Exhaust tubing
Shock mounts

Things to build or assemble
Dana 60 knuckles, axle shafts, brakes.
Hydraulic ram, High steer arms and linkages.
Hydraulic steering components.
WIRING HARNESS (complete buggy)
Electronics on engine (everything)
Gages
Master Cylinder, brakes, tubing, hoses.
Windshield glass

And that's just to name a few!

I'll post up again when were next working on the beast. It will be a couple of weeks, because I'm out of town next weekend for work.:(
Will probibly be the 8th or 9th of August.

ehall
07-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Let's have a group meeting to eyeball and prioritize the work that needs doing.

Electronics should go in before engine and interior, but after paint, etc.

Thor
08-02-2008, 09:16 AM
http://www.hardrockcrawlers.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=32
http://www.hardrockcrawlers.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=31
Here's a couple pics of the gear pattern for Mark's D60.

Gunny
08-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for posting those Thor. I can't wait to get back home from Florida and start working on it again.
Who has a Bearing Install kit? I need to get this front axle in so we can check it off the list.

DaffyXJ
08-04-2008, 07:48 AM
A bearing install kit? Of what sort?

slorocco
08-04-2008, 08:31 AM
OOOOh, nice pattern.

I got no bearings or kits for a 60, now if you had a 44 I could help you out.

Thor
08-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks for posting those Thor. I can't wait to get back home from Florida and start working on it again.
Who has a Bearing Install kit? I need to get this front axle in so we can check it off the list.

No problem. You know you could be home any time now if you weren't 3 days BEHIND!!! :boxing: That's for trying to give me a heart attack this morning.

Gunny
08-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Sorry Thor!:roflmao:
Derik, Bearing install kit, bearing punch, like what you have, to tap the new bearings and seals into the lower kingpin.

Tom
08-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Oh so I come down to Florida and you go back home? I'm in Orlando this week for meetings. Has Mark ordered the Painless kit yet?

So I'm driving to my hotel from the airport and this pulls up next to me.. Apparently the height laws around here must be lax. Look at them blocks :roflmao:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/99blackFRC/Wheelin/0804081725.jpg

The Merg
08-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Florida, also known as Big Gay Truck Land. :rolleyes:

ehall
08-05-2008, 12:17 AM
He's got mud all the way up to the roof, too

Bigbear
08-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Gunny stopped by to show his wifes newmotorcycle wow is it nice
We went directly to the show and instant success the exhaust work is all done, radiator is in and ready to fab up the mounting bars
I tried out my tig machine and found out as usual I don't know anything about what I'm doing we fooled around for an hour and decided to wait until I can get some professional help.

Derik and Jim thanks for setting up by Dana 60 even though I didn't get all the right parts looks great
Derik name the price and I'll be by to settle up Jim says beer but I thought you said 200 per axle.
Now that Jim is selling his beast we have to work twice as fast to finish mine so he will have something to drive around while I lay on the rack and get the kinks out of my back from being such a couch potatoe
hope to be with you all soon.

Tom
08-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Mark, did you already order the Painless kit yet? Curious to know what all came with it and what you still need wiring wise.

Bigbear
08-11-2008, 08:19 AM
did not yet ordr wiring kit
should happen end of this month

ehall
08-19-2008, 04:08 PM
I got a $50 rebate postcard from Painless today if you want it, good for any 12-circuit or bigger harness purchased between July 1 and Oct 31

Gunny
02-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Time to revive this thread.
Weather looks fair this weekend. 40's any way.

I still need to clear it with my boss, but the plans are to finish building the Dana 60 this weekend. That includes: replacing the kinpin bearing cups
mounting the knuckles
high steer arms
building the axle shafts
mounting the spindles
Hyd ram and links
etc.
etc.
Pretty sure we still need to order new calipers and pads, but we could get the axle under the buggy without them.

Finish welding and painting the wheels, mount tires and beadlocks.

Weight on wheels.:D

slorocco
02-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Damn your timing is lousy. I'm working on a fence this weekend. I'll see if I can break free for a few hours on sunday.

YJHAMMER11
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM
I would be happy too but have a trip to the Inner Harbor for Madisons B-Day. Sorry but count me out this time.

Darryl

Gunny
02-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Played hooky from work today and went over to Marks.
U-joints and axle shafts installed
knuckles installed
one spindle installed

Still need to clean up and paint the brake brackets and mount them tomorrow. Marks going to buy new calipers and shoes, so they will go on later.
Also I'll be working on the wheels. Finish welding, paint, mount tires.
Finish assembly of the axle housing, with hyd ram and build the steering links.

I'll be there around 8am tomorrow, if anyone wants to stop by.

rocko1971
02-27-2009, 06:38 PM
At 4 am I will be heading Northwest to pick up two 8.8 axles. Gunny it looks like one of the two axles had the flange you are referring to. Sorry to hijack. Back to the build!!

Tom
02-28-2009, 12:55 PM
That front axle looks awesome. Great fab work Jim.

Gunny
02-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Finished installing the spindles and brake brackets.
Seperated the rotors from the hubs, and Marks looking into either turning the rotors or replacing them.
Finished welding up the front wheels, cleaned and primed.
Mounted the hyd ram and checked clearance before I finish the welding on the mounts.
Made an extensive parts list to keep Mark busy for the rest of the week.

Thanks Tom, you should see it now. It's Purdee!!!!!!!!!!

Jeepster
03-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Pictures??

Gunny
03-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Steering linkages still need to be cut to length.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_2451.jpg

Gunny
03-01-2009, 01:50 PM
a couple more
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_2452.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_2449.jpg

YJHAMMER11
03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
looking good...

Gunny
03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks, I'll be back at it this Friday and possibly Saturday.

Gunny
03-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Mark picked up most of the parts this week, and I painted everything yesterday.
The 60 is getting finished today, as well as building the front two wheels and tires.

Gunny
03-07-2009, 03:11 PM
We've pretty much finished the Dana 60. Still need one kingpin stud, misalignment spacers for the high steer arms, brake banjo bolts, and a couple other little things, but here's how it looks.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_2474.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_2478.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_2475.jpg

rocko1971
03-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Man that thing looks beefy!!! Nice work gunny.

kellyjeep
03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Looks great. I love the attention to all the details. Now let's go wheeling.

Gunny
03-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I'll be back at it Saturday. If anyone has engine skilz, come on by.
Come on by, even if you don't.
We need help!

ehall
03-13-2009, 09:05 AM
what time and what's the work plan? my dogs have stomach problems and are letting loose from both ends so it's kind of risky to leave them alone right now but I can probably get away for a couple of hours.

Gunny
03-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Mark, are we on for Saturday?
Any luck scrounging up some shackle bolts for the front axle?
If so, I'd like to get that bolted the rest of the way in.

Then weld the rear wheel centers, outer rock rings, and get them painted.

Bigbear
03-25-2009, 10:37 AM
On hold for two weeks
I have to work sat and wendy's family is coming from out of state for reunion following sat I'll be in PA

Gunny
03-25-2009, 02:19 PM
OK, your rig's on hold, but I don't have to like it.:bawl:
I'll probibly come over Thursday, or Friday evening and grab my welder.
Might as well work on my Junk this weekend.

Gunny
04-06-2009, 06:50 AM
I had to get out of the house, so I went over to Marks on Friday.
The two rear wheels are welded up and ready for paint. Just need to weld up the spare, when the parts get in.
Finished attaching the front axle and set it on the ground.
OMG, Marks going to need a step ladder to get in.

Next up: MOTOR

Gunny
06-01-2009, 06:48 AM
Went over Friday and worked a little.

-We notched the front shackle area of the frame and put the new shackle mounts in. This dropped the frame about 2 inches and corrected the front pinion angle.
-Measured up for drive shafts.
-Built another wheel.
-Pulled the 14 bolt for grears, locker, and disc brakes.

The big push to finish this is coming soon, so any help would be greatly appriciated.
Things left to do.

-Engine, button up intake, wiring, cooling, fire it up.
-Wiring, everything from headlights to taillights, batterys, gages, etc.
-Plumbing, brakes front and rear with hydro boost, Hydraulic steering.
-Interior sheet metal welding
-and much more.

djsthe1
06-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Whens this gotta be done by? New to the Jeep world but I would be an extra hand. Out of work right now so anything to get me motivated and out the door in the am would be nice..:pirate1:

Gunny
06-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Send a PM to Bigbear for the details on when he will be working on this.
Pretty sure he wants it finishied by July. (THIS YEAR)

kellyjeep
06-01-2009, 01:44 PM
It should be done for the long haul:shocked:

Gunny
06-12-2009, 06:09 PM
We will still be working over at Marks Saturday if anyone wants to stop by.
From around 8-4 or so.

Gunny
06-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Lots accomplished over the past two days.
For the beast:
-14 bolt, bolted back in, beadlocks assembled and mounted. (on all 4's now and looking good)
-PSC pump, steering valve and reservoir mounted.
-Transfer case shifter installed, and tunel cover slots cut.
-Dash wiring stripped, seperated and labled.
-Fuse box bracket built.
-Started on engine wiring.
-Seats pulled for floorboard welding.

For the Dewalt Leaf Blower: (Yellow CJ)
-All 5 beadlocks seperated, centers cut out, and cleaned up. (Waiting on new centers and rock rings)
-3 of the 5 run flats cut off and inner beadlocks were reassembled inside of the tires.

I'm tired!

Bigbear
06-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Sorry no pictures I'm computer illiterate
Friday Gunny came by and we had a build clinic on tube bending so we can make the new shock hoops for the front, measure, bend ,measure now order new shocks for the front
we flexed it with the car lift and seems quite nimble if I do say so myself.
Saturday is a day of joy and woe
I'm supposed to be finishing the wiring so we can start it tomorrow but in the mail came my new drive shafts and pinion yokes for the beast, so I started on this.
Problem woe one: new front 1350 pinion from Spicer is incorrectly machined so u-joint won't sit down in cup correctly,have repair in mind and will verify with m or send it back.
Problem woe two: dana 20 in the jeep has only 10 spline output shafts, I bought two CV style yokes but they are 26 spine so go to back up transfer case and start disassembly only to find it full of left over gunk and water wear,no problem disassemble clean and verify it will fit in jeep
Problem woe three: new transfer case shifter is about 5 inches shorter than installed one, not big issue just swap the whole shift to the other cas

Bigbear
06-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Must of ran out of typing space part two of Saturday
Problem woe four: taking the dana 20 out of my beast ,was quite easy except it weighs more than my lame ole back could hold but it's out and ready for parts swaping
Problem woe five: new pinion yoke straps for my 14 bolt rear aren't the right size for the drive shaft they sent me, how in the world could one nice guy have so much fun in two days.
Problem woe six: the 14 bolt wheel hub seal started leaking it was most likely from sitting around for 5 years waiting for me to get off my arse and start working it. so now more work to redo.
Well thats about all another day showing all ou guys it might be better to buy something built already than try to construct something of yur ownI'm still greatful I started it but my patience is running a little thin
I'll keep you posted on how things go the rest of the week ahead.
by from Bears Den 4x4

slorocco
06-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey Mark, it sounds like one of those two steps forward and one step backwards kinda days. I know the feeling well.

I'm headed out to Wyoming for the week but will be back a week from Sunday. if you need a hand the following weekend, I'll swing by.

Jeepster
06-27-2009, 07:35 PM
I also know how you feel Mark.
It may be quicker to pay someone but wheres the fun in that.
Hope your back is okay.
I should be home next weekend and will come by and give you a hand.

Bigbear
06-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Monday Monday oh what a day
GMC had the right straps for my 14 bolt, the yoke was full of debris so after a little tapping and flushing straps and bolts are good to go
Dana 60 yoke ,milled about .040 out of the center and u-joint fits like a glove so front end is now ready
Dana 20 cleaned out and up painted and new shifters swapped over is waiting on new oil seals for the new yokes and she'll be ready
Pulled the T-18 out of the beast I thought the Dana 20 was heavy this thing weighs about 150 lbs so it's out cleaned and primed should finsih up tomorrow, bad news is that the clutch and throw out bearing are full of grease this will be tomorrows fun.
painted a bunch of piece parts and cleaned up the mufflers and pipes
Dropping the oil pan and pulling the body off is next step so stay tuned the party is going and the freight train has left the building.

Gunny
07-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Mark was gone this past weekend but I went over to do a little welding.
Since the body/cage was off, I used the lift to roll it from side to side, so I could get all the finish welding done on the bottom of the cage.
Just some cosmetics left on the body.

Jeepster
07-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Pictures??

Tom
07-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Pictures??

what he said

Gunny
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Pictures??
If you guy's would stop by every now and then, I wouldn't need to post pictures.
:moon:

Jeepster
07-22-2009, 09:08 AM
I was there 9 day's ago and helped him pull the Pilot Bearing from the Engine and install a couple Oil seals in the T-case.

How often do I have to stop by.
I just want a few pictures.

:bawl:
can I have some cheese.

Gunny
07-22-2009, 09:34 AM
I just checked, and there are pictures all over this thread.
Pages 3,5,8,9,11,and 12.:moon:
And for you pathetic winers, I'll take a camera over there this weekend.

Jeepster
07-22-2009, 11:25 AM
More Pictures are better.

Thank you for taking the Camera over.

Lead Winer.

Gunny
09-21-2009, 06:15 AM
No new pictures, but lots of work completed. Finished fabbing everything in the tub and getting it ready for paint. We disassembled the buggy. Rolled the frame, finished welding and started sanding. Lot's of sanding.

Jeepster
09-21-2009, 06:44 AM
That's good news. Finishing up the welding is a Major step.

slorocco
09-21-2009, 03:00 PM
So what kind of coating is this thing gettting, Rattle Can? Powder Coat? You could go really wild and get it galvanized.

Jeepster
09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Hey you could spend some big money and get it Chrome plated.
Now that would be cool.
Body and Frame straight Chrome.

It would be so bright you could not Look even it's general directions on a sunny day.
Wow.
That would be sweet.

ehall
09-21-2009, 05:01 PM
mark should have all the tools that are needed to do single-stage automotive paint. it's cheap and needs minimal finish work. setup time is the hardest part.

easiest and fastest would be to mask it and trailer it to maaco

Gunny
09-21-2009, 05:10 PM
We will first cover the frame and maybe the bottom of the body with POR-15.
Then the frame will be painted with POR Top Coat.
The body tub bottom and inside will be coated with Durabak.
The outside and roll cage will most likely be rattle canned.
That is, until Mark changes his mind again.

ehall
09-21-2009, 05:27 PM
My best recommendation on rattlecan is to use the metallic stops-rust. I put some of that on when I was experimenting with materials, and it was by far the hardest stuff to sand off later, way tougher than any of the other finishes. It also dries stupid fast (like 10 minutes to touch and 30 minutes to finished), so you can do multiple coats in an afternoon and be done. It's not available in quarts or anything except rattlecan so overspray might be a problem in large areas.

Here's the color chart for it http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=30

Gunny
10-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Like Mark said (in another thread), we're busy trying to finish up the Beast, although it wouldn't seem that way if anyone came over.
It's stripped back down to nothing again. We've got the axles pulled out and the frames up on jack stands getting rust preventative then paint.
The body/cage is flipped upside down getting the bottom prep'ed, primed, and undercoated.
Dion, do you have any more of those tents left? We need a paint booth. :roflmao:
Gotta grab some lunch, then back over to Marks.

Gunny
10-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Frames painted and back on all four wheels. Looks really good.
Body's primed and getting undercoated today. Practiced on the underside of the hood and turned out great.
I'll try and get some pictures today to post later.

Gunny
10-26-2009, 07:17 AM
Well, we did get some work accomplished on Saturday.
Built the tubing rack to store all the roll cage tubing and metal, and we sorted through and organized what Mark has over there.
Plenty of room for more DOM, so those that are ready to order stock and build they're roll cages, get busy saving your pennies.

Put the final coat of Shutz on the bottom of the body, firewall, and inner cowl. Time to flip it over and start working on the inside.

My throwing season is over, so time to get busy and finish this beast up.

On another good note, Mark should be getting the Yellow CJ back tomorrow. Three weeks till the Turkey Run, lets cross our fingers.

Gunny
12-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I'll be working on Marks rig this weekend, starting tomorrow afternoon.
Need to finish up the motor so the drive train can be reinstalled.

Gunny
12-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Correction. Make that Saturday at Marks.
Have to help Dion strip a couple vehicles for parts tomorrow.:D
Can you say 14 bolt? :worship:

YJHAMMER11
12-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Are you pulling all the 14 down at Dion's. I have to deliver the old 44's to Dawayne on Friday

Gunny
01-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Been a while since I've updating this.
Motor was cleaned and painted over the past few weeks and today we re-installed it into the buggy.
http://gunnysjeepingpics.shutterfly.com/73#73
Transfer case is waiting on a front output seal.

Thanks Ben, for lending a hand.
Thanks Dan, for watching.

Ben also took my H1 wheels apart for me. I also learned not to let him anywhere near a plasma cutter.

When's Icebreakers?????

Gunny
01-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Mark got the front output seal for the TC, so we finally got it bolted back up to the transmission. Also installed the drive shafts.
This weekend we'll be bending brake lines, assembling the motor, and working on the interior.

Gunny
01-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Bolted up the exhaust manifolds, exhaust, and built a muffler support.
Tomorrow we'll be bending brake lines and assembling the motor.
I'll try and remember the camera, so you can see some updated pictures.

Gunny
01-17-2010, 07:33 AM
And for the long awaited updated pictures, here you go.
Drive train is cleaned, painted and back in.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_2850.jpg
Cross member and drive shaft clearance
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_2852.jpg
Exhaust and brake lines w/heat shield installed
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_2857.jpg
Mark likes to paint!
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/Gunnyyj/Marks%20Buggy/IMG_2860.jpg

Jeepster
01-17-2010, 08:45 AM
LOOKIN' GOOD.

I can't wait to see that Beast on the Trail.

Tom
01-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Lookin good.

Jeepster
07-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Mark you had ask for pictures of a Propane system throttle movement.

The only rig I saw there that had propane was the Rusty's , Extreem4x4, Alumatub rig.

Picture at closed throttle.
http://jeepster.shutterfly.com/blog/93

Throttle full Open
http://jeepster.shutterfly.com/blog/93#94

Here is a video of it moving thru the range.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQcFE4ynY_4

Bigbear
09-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks to Dion and Ben
Wiring is now about 70% complete
As usual Dion worked faster than the parts i have in hand so we stopped waiting on me.
Taurus fan did not fit tried moving radiator and such no luck went back to mechanical fan for this round.
Took rear end apart so we can replace two leaking seals and that should fix that issue.
Now down to just about 1000 things to do but it all fits on one sheet of paper now.
thanks everyone for the help.

slorocco
09-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Mark, glad to hear you made good progress today. Every little bit helps.

Bigbear
12-22-2010, 04:21 PM
finally got a master cylinder from wilwood that works bleed it bleed slave and reinstalled it clutch is 3/4 done,need a small part for pedal inside.

Brake parts showed up today mounted solenoid for line loc and started piecing together what's left ,now need piece of AN-3 brake line.

made big boo bbo with steering setup spent last couple of days bleeding all the lines and the cylinders, Gunny made me remount the cooler so that is done and the steering cylinder actually moves full stroke and in correct direction.

spent couple of days working getting tractor ready for snow

I hope everyone has a Merry xmas and starts the new year off right.

Hey Derick mock my progress but I actually have a real chance to be ready by big dogs this year

Jeepster
12-22-2010, 04:28 PM
That sounds Great. One step closer to getting this thing fired up and on the trail.
Congratulations.

Gunny
12-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Mark, we (Ben and I) will be over there working tomorrow (Thursday).

DaffyXJ
12-27-2010, 03:06 PM
finally got a master cylinder from wilwood that works bleed it bleed slave and reinstalled it clutch is 3/4 done,need a small part for pedal inside.

Brake parts showed up today mounted solenoid for line loc and started piecing together what's left ,now need piece of AN-3 brake line.

made big boo bbo with steering setup spent last couple of days bleeding all the lines and the cylinders, Gunny made me remount the cooler so that is done and the steering cylinder actually moves full stroke and in correct direction.

spent couple of days working getting tractor ready for snow

I hope everyone has a Merry xmas and starts the new year off right.

Hey Derick mock my progress but I actually have a real chance to be ready by big dogs this year

NO Mark, wasn't mocking, was making a statement. My task is alot easier than what you took on, I look for it to take just as long. :cry:

Bigbear
01-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Dion,
Took starter to advanced they tested it twice and both times it was good,maybe jumper cable is no good???
Got fuses, horn button,turnsignal switch
They only had 2 of the 40 amp relays ,say next tuesday maybe more.
Got 2 gauge lugs test fitted to the cable in shop seem to fit right now.

For all, thanks to Dan and Dion
we have all but 4 wires rung out and labeled
dash lights partially wired
Dion got headlights and parkiing lights to come on
horn works
switch panel is with Dion getting finishing touch
We almost got it to turn over but battery was partially drained it's charged now

John Kelly and PaTRICK IF you are not buying custom wiring harness now would be good time to come see all wires exposed and labeled if you want.

kellyjeep
01-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Patrick and I will try to stop by this weekend. I am on week three of a bathroom remodel. I need a Jeep break.

Bigbear
01-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Well it's half alive it turns over and there is spark but does not fire,
Rob,
can you see if your friend with the propane setup can send you some photos of the plumbing set up,,
there are several vacuum ports on the atomizer and I don't know where they should go.
Also ask him if he had any set up tips for getting it running first time..

Gunny
01-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Awesome first step Mark. Now comes the real fun, getting it tuned. But once that's done, should be hitting the trails in no time.
Ice Breakers, here we come!

Jeepster
01-16-2011, 03:19 PM
New update.

We now have Oil pressure but it still does not run on it's on.

It starts runs for 5 or 6 revs then dies.
Have played with timing a little but no real change.

Wondering if there is any way to make sure we are getting enough fuel?
Just have some unknowns with the propane setup.

Bigbear
01-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Dion, Just a note to say thank you for your patience on this build.

I got a reply from Dan 58 over on Maryland Creepers.
he says it won't run on the bottle we are using, he is getting rid of his system for an LQ9 Caddy setup
Ran his with about 10degrees advance but said it ran fine with intital timing set up for gas.
Also sent me a lot of pictures but nothing really showing us the lines.
Said he believes it will start and run with out any vacuum lines hook up just wont be perfect.
Going to fill my forklift bottle today and retry
Also the Yellow jeep finally won't start at all today so replumb for Carb setup is coming.

DieselDent
01-17-2011, 10:10 AM
going to see if andy has any other pics from when they built the jeep.

Bigbear
01-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Filled my new propane tank ouch 7.6 gals is all it holds 3.45 per gal yuck price has really gone up
Hooked it up, note to myself when relieving hose pressurized with propane take care wear gloves it's relly cold. good thing it stayed pressurized all night
tried to start buggy same ole bad result sputter then nothing.
Talked to GOT today they said it should run on the gas grill bottle.
said no vacuum lines going back to vaporizer
Back to square one

Bigbear
01-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Dion,
If you get bored
Google or yahoo
it's a MM x-1 converter and a x-450 mixer lot's of data we have it hooked up right
10 to 15 degrees advance is good starting point
we are using an electric lock out so you don't have to have the vacuum line run over to the lock out

Jeepster
01-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Humm

We need to double check the ignition module wiring. I'll do some more research on that as well.

Makes you just want to pull your hair out when it's this close but won't start.

Jeepster
01-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Dion,
If you get bored
Google or yahoo
it's a MM x-1 converter and a x-450 mixer lot's of data we have it hooked up right
10 to 15 degrees advance is good starting point
we are using an electric lock out so you don't have to have the vacuum line run over to the lock out

Okay for the wiring. I may have missed a wire.
We need to trace the White wire down. I don't remember hooking it up.
http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/Motorcraft_distributor.gif

From source:http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html

Bigbear
01-19-2011, 06:53 AM
should I order the ballast resistor like in the picture i saw several on JEGs site yesterday ??
Can't pull my hair out don't have much left and the rest is falling out over all the worrying I do.
Now that I see we have the mixer plumbed right I'm hopefull it is just the wire and we will be working on that motor this week end
I got it in the shop on the lift so it will be toasty and dry

sam025
01-19-2011, 07:28 AM
Have you checked to see if the ignition control module was good? When I did the rebuild on mine this summer and swapped in the HEI, we had the same problem trying to get it to fire the first time The ignition control module in the distributor was bad, had it tested at auto zone and got a new one and it fired right up. Just an idea....

Bigbear
01-19-2011, 12:54 PM
IT"S ALIVE ,IT"S ALIVE.
One tiny wire hooked to 12 volts and it started in 3 turns, runs like a raped ape and doesn't smoke
50psi oil pressure wow of wow
Idle's too low but just needs a small adjustment.
Bad thing about me working on it is once I got it running could not turn it off with switch had to disconnect wire I powered up.
So come on buy drink a beer and listen to what real jeep power sounds like.
Next step finish hooking everything up
Stop brakes from leaking fix transfer case leak and woah big guy you said you were almost ready to go I am just little things to finish
Got direction and if you look outside you can see that smile from far far away
Thank you to evrybody who has helped me make my dream come true.

DieselDent
01-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Thats awesome, glad you got that figured out looking forward to hearing it run.

Jeepster
01-19-2011, 01:06 PM
:DIT"S ALIVE ,IT"S ALIVE.
One tiny wire hooked to 12 volts and it started in 3 turns, runs like a raped ape and doesn't smoke
50psi oil pressure wow of wow
Idle's too low but just needs a small adjustment.
Bad thing about me working on it is once I got it running could not turn it off with switch had to disconnect wire I powered up.
So come on buy drink a beer and listen to what real jeep power sounds like.
Next step finish hooking everything up
Stop brakes from leaking fix transfer case leak and woah big guy you said you were almost ready to go I am just little things to finish
Got direction and if you look outside you can see that smile from far far away
Thank you to evrybody who has helped me make my dream come true.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!! P:)

I knew I had to be missing something small.
We will fix all that wiring so everything is switched this weekend.
:D
Are you going to be around friday?

:party:

Gunny
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
:D Coming by right after work Mark to drink a beer with you and listen to the rumble.

Bigbear
01-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Yes i will be around on FRiday if you have time

sam025
01-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Congrats! Can't wait to get by sometime and see it :cheers:

slorocco
01-19-2011, 03:07 PM
SWEET! :cheers:

YJHAMMER11
01-19-2011, 06:39 PM
NIce just reading the last few pages. Glad she is running. FINALLY!!!!!!

Bill Dodson
01-20-2011, 09:47 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!! :cheers:

Bigbear
02-06-2011, 03:31 PM
It's alive and runs under it's own power
Drove out of shop and down the road
really feels great to have gotten to ride it finally
Back in the shop final touchs and the list to do is only 2 pages now
Great thanks to all who helped me realize my dreams
Gunny for all the fab and fix
Dion for all the wiring
My wife for not throwing us all out on our asses, and understanding that
Just Empty Every Pocket is not just a phrase.

Jeepster
02-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Congratulation!!!

P:) :party: P:) :party: P:) :party:

It's been a long time coming and I'm glad it's finally here.

So Now I want to know. Does anyone have a spare CJ Hood?
;)

The Merg
02-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Nice work, Mark! Let's get some more pictures

Bill Dodson
02-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Congratulations, Mark!!! :cheers:

See... it's just in time for Icebreakers :laugh2:

Bill

HarrisonBB
02-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Pictures of Mark's Buggy on the RTI Ramp:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0e8877f1df00000050O00AcMWjlo5ZsW QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0f0192109a00000050O00AcMWjlo5ZsW QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0ebf3ab11100000050O00AcMWjlo5ZsW QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0f2411d1a300000050O00AcMWjlo5ZsW QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0e1dc1b1bb00000050O00AcMWjlo5ZsW QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0ff1e6109600000050O00AcMWjlo5ZsW QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0efb43307a00000050O00AcMWjlo5ZsW QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0fd24cd18500000050O00AcMWjlo5ZsW QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0e242df1d300000050O00AcMWjlo5ZsW QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0e8da7b19500000050O00AcMWjlo5ZsW QPbz4Y/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

slorocco
02-14-2011, 08:14 AM
No numbers? What's the RTI score?

Gunny
02-14-2011, 09:26 AM
With Marks wheel base the score would be really low. The point is, it flex's, it doesn't bind anywhere, and it's almost ready for the trails.

DieselDent
02-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Looking good Mark. :cheers:

Gunny
02-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Things completed today:
-Passenger seat and seat belt mounted.
-Hard top cleaned up and loosely mounted. Waiting on seals.
-Reinforced trailer fender to support drive over. Tested, and works great.
-Tightened leaf spring U-Bolts.

It's coming together nicely. Should be ready for a shakedown in a couple weeks. Looking for a nice dry weekend at the farmers.

RedFJ
02-28-2011, 05:48 PM
All that flex and some 33's?? Ramp looks strangely familiar though, glad to see it's still getting some use. Jeep looks good!

jim

Gunny
03-01-2011, 06:10 AM
All that flex and some 33's?? Ramp looks strangely familiar though, glad to see it's still getting some use. Jeep looks good!

jim
WOW, I thought we banned you years ago Jim! LOL
Good hearing from you, and btw, those are 36's.

PuddleJumper
03-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Buggy is looking great Mark/Gunny! x2 on that RTI score? This thing ready to wheel yet? Ill probably be down in St. Mary's this weekend helping my father.. I may be able to get away and would love to finally wheel with mark and yall. Heck gunny I think the last time I wheeled with you was a trail cutting at the farmers 2 yrs ago! :compwork:

Bigbear
03-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm on the road this week trying to get home by Saturday.
Parts left are hopefully in the mail and should be delivered this week
air Compressor, gaskets, winshield wiper linkages so not this weekend but possibly by Mar 11/12 I will be ready as I'm gonna be this year. The UPS guy seems to have forgotten how to turn into my driveway since the tracking number he has says they are shipped.I even got a new road sign on my street.

When you are out and about I'm looking for the rear hatch on my hardtop, the original one was too rusted to use so looking for new one in somewhat good shape
if you see one let me know.
Glad to see you are getting ready to rumble too.

PuddleJumper
03-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I havent been to the junk yard in a couple months. But Ill stop in there sometime this week and have a look see for you. Hardtops are VERY hard to find there usually because all the good ones are taken ASAP and the broken ones get thrown right in scrap. Are the YJ hardtops the same as the CJ7 or are they different?

And thanks, Im still nowhere near finished but I would consider this "trail ready". Still need shocks and all the rear sheet metal as well as all of the accessories I want like CB, lights etc.

HarrisonBB
03-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I havent been to the junk yard in a couple months. But Ill stop in there sometime this week and have a look see for you. Hardtops are VERY hard to find there usually because all the good ones are taken ASAP and the broken ones get thrown right in scrap. Are the YJ hardtops the same as the CJ7 or are they different?

And thanks, Im still nowhere near finished but I would consider this "trail ready". Still need shocks and all the rear sheet metal as well as all of the accessories I want like CB, lights etc.

If it's trail ready, Bring it to Gore this weekend!

PuddleJumper
03-01-2011, 11:27 AM
If it's trail ready, Bring it to Gore this weekend!

Not to Hijack, But I didnt know you guys were going to gore this weekend. And honestly... no funds.

HarrisonBB
03-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Not to Hijack, But I didnt know you guys were going to gore this weekend. And honestly... no funds.

booo ... sell some parts, come on! you gotta bring it to IceBreakers. It is only fitting, Mark will be there! Alright, I am done taking this thread off topic. Mark, Gunny has been releived from his duties at work in order to put your junk together! COME ON, LET's GO!

PuddleJumper
03-01-2011, 01:50 PM
booo ... sell some parts, come on! you gotta bring it to IceBreakers. It is only fitting, Mark will be there! Alright, I am done taking this thread off topic. Mark, Gunny has been releived from his duties at work in order to put your junk together! COME ON, LET's GO!

Ok, last thing I'll say off topic..Im going to try to go to Icebreakers. I REALLY would like to go especially since that is my Birthday weekend. But as of right now its not looking good.:shiver:

Mark, Did you end up running heat in the buggy? And what did your wheel base come out to?

RedFJ
03-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Ban me, they tried, didn't take. 36's? come on, someone better layoff the beer when running the tape measure. Looks killer though, really good work!

Jeepster
03-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Ban me, they tried, didn't take. 36's? come on, someone better layoff the beer when running the tape measure. Looks killer though, really good work!

It's those HUGE wheel openings. It needs a nice set of 42's to fill them up.

Good to see you on here again.
Hope everything is going good for you.

slorocco
03-02-2011, 07:26 AM

Damn, where's our webmaster when you need him. :roflmao:

Jim, you need to take a look at Gunny's latest build, the Mini MB.

RedFJ
03-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Dan, I did see the lil'mini and all I kept thinking...."Fat guy in a little coat", uhh, jeep that is. Actually doing very well, the whole family. I'm with you, nice set of 42's would look nice on there.

Bigbear
04-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Trailer:
rewired, break away installed
Buggy:
ARB plumbed and solenoid wired
VIAIR installed wired and tested sat
Wipers, wired and tested in both speeds
hood more sanding but still a ways to go
Brake lights wired and tested sat
turn signals wired and tested sat

Wiring needs to be installed in looms and clamped up
ARB tubing need to be clamped up
Brakes are still not solid so more investigating,going to rebleed and see if they improve

Big thanks to DION, he did all the work but he did let me do a couple of crimps and splicees

Gunny
04-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Pulled the doors off and painted them.
Primed and painted the hood.
Chased leaks in the air tank, and ARB lines, and got rid of most of them.
Good day.

Jeepster
04-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Pulled the doors off and painted them.
Primed and painted the hood.
Chased leaks in the air tank, and ARB lines, and got rid of most of them.
Good day.

That's good.
So What is left on the list?

Gunny
05-30-2011, 08:19 AM
Mark,
What on your steering broke this past weekend?

Bigbear
05-30-2011, 12:05 PM
that little bracket that holds the column under the dash we tacked it but didnot totally weld it out easy fix.

Gunny
05-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Ok, that's nothing really then. You had me worried that one of my welds broke!

kevin
05-30-2011, 05:40 PM
that is one heck of a Beasty Build. Of course we were only on blues and greens but Mark just crawled over everything effortlessly (except for slimy mud ......:roflmao: )
I would like to see it in action on some of the tougher trails.:cheers: