PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on Rubicon Axles.

POWERW@GON
02-04-2008, 08:37 AM
You have to scoll down almost all the way to the bottom.
Front $ 1285 complete
Rear $1185 complete

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html

Jeepster
02-04-2008, 09:43 AM
That is an excellent Deal.
If you only want 4:10 gears.
I am assuming they have the electric locker.

You should Jump on this deal.
YJ / TJ / KJ other.
Brackets are easy. Most of the money parts are included here.
It's the same price or Cheaper than buying old parts and rebuilding.
You just don't get to choose your Ratio.

Bill Dodson
02-04-2008, 12:03 PM
These are Dana44s, right?

4.10 is still a heck of an improvement over 3.05, right?

Hmmm...

Lax22
02-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Might be what you need to fix that vibration issue Bill:cool:

sam025
02-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Those are the same ones listed in 4wd. but about $200 cheaper per axle

Bill Dodson
02-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Might be what you need to fix that vibration issue Bill:cool:

The thought had crossed my mind also... especially since we're running out of quick & easy things to do to fix it :butthead:

POWERW@GON
02-04-2008, 12:38 PM
These are Dana44s, right?

4.10 is still a heck of an improvement over 3.05, right?

Hmmm...

They are the same dana 44s used on the new JK Rubicons. They are complete from caliper to caliper with electric lockers and 4.10s. You can regear both axles to 5.13 for about $700. From what I understand the new Dana 44 front is stronger than the previous ones. Great deal !

Gunny
02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Are these the 5 on 5 bolt pattern? Some were, and you'll have to change out rims if you go with them.

POWERW@GON
02-04-2008, 01:01 PM
They are 5x5. I think they make adapters to 5 on 4.5, but the cost is pretty close to a new set of steelies.

Gunny
02-04-2008, 02:32 PM
It's cheaper and safer, to swap out to rims that fit, than to put in spacers.
Plus, you could sell your old rims for a few $$.

MoJoe
02-04-2008, 02:38 PM
They are the same dana 44s used on the new JK Rubicons. They are complete from caliper to caliper with electric lockers and 4.10s. You can regear both axles to 5.13 for about $700. From what I understand the new Dana 44 front is stronger than the previous ones. Great deal !

You are correct, according to JP mag, the new gen 44's are stronger. Wish I had some extra coin, be a great time for me to link the YJ.

POWERW@GON
02-05-2008, 06:32 AM
It's cheaper and safer, to swap out to rims that fit, than to put in spacers.
Plus, you could sell your old rims for a few $$.

True dat!:roflmao:

ehall
02-05-2008, 11:29 AM
wow that's a really good deal

how hard would it be to adapt them to fit on my XJ?

DaffyXJ
02-05-2008, 01:24 PM
It's a Bolt in for the front. The rear needs Leaf perches and shock mounts. Not too hard.

Jeepster
02-05-2008, 02:41 PM
It's a Bolt in for the front. The rear needs Leaf perches and shock mounts. Not too hard.

I thought they changes some of the mounting locations for the JK's.
Which would make it a mixed bag for the front. have to replace 1 or 2 brackets at worst.

ehall
02-05-2008, 02:41 PM
That's easy compared to what some of the other axles require. Also you get new brakes with these. They have electric lockers, right?

Somebody on NAXJA said that they needed Rubi-specific gears which is a little bit of a concern. I might want to replace the rear locker too. Shafts are another concern. But if the only issue is welding on perches, well that's nothing because I wanted to get U-bolt eliminators anyway.

YJHAMMER11
02-05-2008, 08:23 PM
The brackets are different both for the coil mounts as well as the control arms but not to hard to wack and weld

Well worth the price and they are electric. The JK does have abs and traction sensors not sure how or what needs to do about that.

Search the forums!!

Gunny
02-06-2008, 06:16 AM
The JK does have abs and traction sensors not sure how or what needs to do about that.

Search the forums!!

If you were converting axles to a JK it would be a consern, because the vehicle would be looking for the signals.
I would think that the axel sensors could either be removed or just taped off and stowed.

ehall
02-06-2008, 09:54 AM
ABS affects parking brake setup but if they are selling these as upgrades for the CJ then it has to be pretty simple. I'll ask about that along with the other stuff if I can get somebody there to answer the phone.

Bill Dodson
02-06-2008, 09:58 AM
ABS affects parking brake setup but if they are selling these as upgrades for the CJ then it has to be pretty simple. I'll ask about that along with the other stuff if I can get somebody there to answer the phone.

Let us know, please. I'm considering these for our YJ.

Bill

ehall
02-06-2008, 04:22 PM
The Mopar Performance guy said that he cannot ship due to the way they arrive from Mopar, and they are North Carolina pickup only. That's not too far so I guess a road trip will be in order when I get to that point.

He did not know the answers to any of the questions either and pointed me to Mopar tech. I'm going to guess that they are JK axles, so they will need the JK-specific gears, lockers and shafts, instead of plain D44 parts. I looked around a bit and Superior has some JK parts so I don't see that as prohibitive.

Does anybody know if the JK can be ordered without ABS? If so, I'd imagine the brakes will work without them, and at worst a couple of parts would have to be swapped. I'd only be worried about it if not.

Bill Dodson
02-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks for calling them. I'm still considering these, as well as other options for my rig.

Bill

ehall
02-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I have also found other places selling other parts, such as JK D44 Front housing (http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAU&Product_Code=17174aaaa&Category_Code=7W) and rear housing (http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAU&Product_Code=03552aa&Category_Code=7W) which are absent the innards and shafts apparently.

Note that they have 2- and 4-door variants which are different widths from what I understand. That raises the question of what Mopar Performance is selling.

Gunny
02-07-2008, 04:47 AM
As stated before, you can hook up these axles in any vehicle. The sensors send a signal to the computer, which sends signal to the ASB control in the brake system, which caused the brake pressures to change at individual wheels to correct spin.
If you connect these axles to any other system, (-) the ABS brake controller, and don't connect the ABS sensors, they work as standard axles.

Bill, No problem hooking these up if you decide you want to go this route.

POWERW@GON
02-07-2008, 07:01 AM
I believe the Jk Wrangler and the Unlimited have the same axles with the only variants being front dana 30/rear dana 44 or Front and rear dana 44 for the Rubicon.
All have the same width of 61.9 inches.

If I hadn't bought all of my stuff already I would've bought them.

Bill Dodson
02-07-2008, 07:58 AM
The Mopar Performance guy said that he cannot ship due to the way they arrive from Mopar, and they are North Carolina pickup only. That's not too far so I guess a road trip will be in order when I get to that point.
He did not know the answers to any of the questions either and pointed me to Mopar tech. I'm going to guess that they are JK axles, so they will need the JK-specific gears, lockers and shafts, instead of plain D44 parts. I looked around a bit and Superior has some JK parts so I don't see that as prohibitive.

Does anybody know if the JK can be ordered without ABS? If so, I'd imagine the brakes will work without them, and at worst a couple of parts would have to be swapped. I'd only be worried about it if not.

It's about 350 miles one-way.

Bill Dodson
02-07-2008, 08:03 AM
As stated before, you can hook up these axles in any vehicle. The sensors send a signal to the computer, which sends signal to the ASB control in the brake system, which caused the brake pressures to change at individual wheels to correct spin.
If you connect these axles to any other system, (-) the ABS brake controller, and don't connect the ABS sensors, they work as standard axles.

Bill, No problem hooking these up if you decide you want to go this route.

Are there any issues with switching to disc brakes in the rear?

We are giving this some pretty serious consideration. It might be time for a road-trip down towards Greensboro & Charlotte...

Bill

slorocco
02-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Bill, the only issue I can think of is that you may need to get a differenct proportioning valve. That may take a little trial and error but should not be a huge issue. I would put them on there and try it as is. If the braking is a little off then find a different proportioning valve or and adjustable one.

POWERW@GON
02-07-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm with Dan. If you have any issues with the brakes just get a adjustable proportioning valve.

ehall
02-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Called the Mopar 888 number and got a little more info. They are indeed from the 2007 Rubicon, although the tech did not know if they were from the two-door or four-door models--I'd like to know dangit.

The locker is a simple 12v switch, no PCM signal or anything fancy is needed. I looked around and could not find aftermarket lockers. However the Mopar Performance site lists the rear with LSD and full locking axles so I guess that's enough for now. I'd really like a lunchbox for the rear for my usage. Maybe in a year or three something will be released, who knows. As I said yesterday Superior makes axles and gears for these things so aftermarket isn't a problem there.

I tried to find out about brakes but the guy at Mopar tech and I were unable to communicate. He said they come ready to drop in. I asked if that included pads and calipers. He said they come ready to drop in.... Oh and they are ABS only.

Looks like it is a good deal for a complete setup.

MoJoe
02-07-2008, 05:34 PM
There are a few aftermarket lockers for the new gen D44, but the factory e-locker works well for most. These would be a great spend of my tax return!!!

Gunny
02-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Are there any issues with switching to disc brakes in the rear?

We are giving this some pretty serious consideration. It might be time for a road-trip down towards Greensboro & Charlotte...

Bill
No issues with the disk brakes. I swapped over to the Ford 8.8 and it has disk's and is an ABS axle. The sensor just doesn't get used, and the brakes are fine in my opinion.

If you decide you want to swap to these axles, you just need to remember that you have ABS axles for parts. If you replace your brake pads, you'll need the abs pads for an abs axle of that year model.

I have to remember:
78 Ford Bronco for front axle (44) parts,
01 Exlporer for rear axle (8.8) parts,
92 GMC 5.7 for engine parts,
and I think it's still considered a 91 Jeep Wrangler for everything else.

slorocco
02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
There are a few aftermarket lockers for the new gen D44, but the factory e-locker works well for most. These would be a great spend of my tax return!!!

Return??? What's that? I'll probably owe more than that!:cry:

MoJoe
02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Return??? What's that? I'll probably owe more than that!:cry:

HA, I might act like I have a return coming, but rest assure I never do either :roflmao: It is spent before it hits my account.

Gunny
02-07-2008, 08:08 PM
That's easy compared to what some of the other axles require. Also you get new brakes with these. They have electric lockers, right?

Somebody on NAXJA said that they needed Rubi-specific gears which is a little bit of a concern. I might want to replace the rear locker too. Shafts are another concern. But if the only issue is welding on perches, well that's nothing because I wanted to get U-bolt eliminators anyway.
You keep mentioning replacing the rear locker.... WHY? If it's a limited slip/full locker, why would you want to replace it with a Lunch box locker or full locker?

Bill Dodson
02-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Are these the 5 on 5 bolt pattern? Some were, and you'll have to change out rims if you go with them.

I'm trying to get a handle on the "other" expenses that are going to happen if I go this route...
I did a few quick searches for 5 on 5 bolt pattern on 15 inch wheels and didn't see any :butthead: There are 5 on 5 for 16 & 17 inch wheels, and 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5 for 15 inch wheels. I was hoping to re-use my current tires and hold down costs :confused:

I've got two sets of tires mounted up on 15 inch wheels and ready to use: one for street use and one for wheeling. I like doing it that way.

Bill :compwork:

POWERW@GON
02-08-2008, 08:48 AM
I think you have to run 16s for caliper clearance.

ehall
02-08-2008, 08:50 AM
A lunchbox rear with selectable front seems to be the best solution for my needs.

POWERW@GON
02-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Why not selectable front and rear?:butthead:

ehall
02-08-2008, 09:14 AM
My intended usage is muddy roads and snowy mountains so I am building for full-time 4WD. A lunchbox in the rear will give me the benefit of a selectable rear whenever a wheel spins or when more throttle is the answer but won't create problems around tight corners at low throttle, and won't become useless like an LSD if one wheel loses traction. If I need more than what the lunchbox provides in the tail, engage the selectable front, and then turn it off again when I'm clear.

I'm replacing my 231 with a 242 also btw.

slorocco
02-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Man, I think that's exactly the purpose that the axle was meant to satisfy in in it's stock configuration. Leave it alone and save some $$$.

If, after driving it a while you still think the limited slip and elocker in the rear axle are a problem, then you can go a head and spend the money for the lunchbox locker and to pay someone to set it all up for you.

My money says you'll like it just fine the way they come.

ehall
02-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Well I wouldn't get the LSD at all since it's useless with one wheel off the ground. I don't mind starting with selectable rear, like I said maybe there will be some aftermarket stuff in a year or three.

I have to do some other stuff to the beater first before I get to axles anyway, maybe a lunchbox will be available by the time I actually get there.

Anyways, it's definitely a good deal.

Jeepster
02-08-2008, 05:56 PM
My intended usage is muddy roads and snowy mountains so I am building for full-time 4WD. A lunchbox in the rear will give me the benefit of a selectable rear whenever a wheel spins or when more throttle is the answer but won't create problems around tight corners at low throttle, and won't become useless like an LSD if one wheel loses traction. If I need more than what the lunchbox provides in the tail, engage the selectable front, and then turn it off again when I'm clear.

I'm replacing my 231 with a 242 also btw.

For the situations you described. A Lunch box or even a full locker is the WORST thing you could have in the rear. With these lockers there is alway some play. As you get on and off the gas or one wheel try's to spin faster than the other. That play is taken up and you wind up getting a Kick from the axle which will pull the Jeep one way or the other.

With the Limited slip / selectable locker that is in it. You get the advantages of limited slip when not selected and the advantages of a full locker when selected.

I have run several full lockers over the years and Broken more than my share of Lunch box lockers. Currently I run a Spool in the back and an ARB in the front. I don't recommend this setup for on road use but I WOULD rather have it than a lunch box or full locker driving at any speed on snow or slick roads.

my .02 worth
Dion

Gunny
02-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Dion, am I missing something here? Isn't the rubicon axle a limited slip in the off position, and a full locker in the on position?

What doen't he like about that????????

Heck, I guess he could away's just weld it up!!!!!!!

I've got to get off this tread, it's hurting my head just trying to understand it.

YJHAMMER11
02-08-2008, 08:03 PM
The new Rubi axles require 17 inch wheel to clear the caliper. You can have a set of spacers made to work with this. Thre are more out there than Spidertrax. I think mine are Sams Offroad and they build to suit.. You have to dig to find them on the net. Some racers use these as well in cars..

On the other part of this thread unless your going with a spool run the e-locker as stock set up!!!!

ehall
02-08-2008, 08:05 PM
There are different part numbers for LSD and electronic locker

P5153826 Jeep Rubicon Rear Axle Assembly, Locking Differential, 4.10 Axle Ratio 1185.00
P5153827 Jeep Rubicon Rear Axle Assembly, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 Axle Ratio 985.00
If the electronic locker is *also* limited slip then yeah that would be a fine choice

MoJoe
02-08-2008, 08:48 PM
The new Rubi axles require 17 inch wheel to clear the caliper. You can have a set of spacers made to work with this. Thre are more out there than Spidertrax. I think mine are Sams Offroad and they build to suit.. You have to dig to find them on the net. Some racers use these as well in cars..

On the other part of this thread unless your going with a spool run the e-locker as stock set up!!!!

It depends, I ran a 16" rim, there where also people fitting certain 15" rims depending on the make and BS of the rim on their Rubi's. So I have seen as small as a 15" on the new gen 44's. If using steel rims they are easier to fit.

ehall
02-08-2008, 09:36 PM
okay found this on jk-forums

The Rubicon are Limited Slip up until it is locked. ( They are called ELSD) Limited slip for normal driving....Fully Locked when selected. (My reference is my Rubicon and Jeep.com)

sounds good, thanks for yammering at me! :twak:

DaffyXJ
02-09-2008, 01:02 PM
For the situations you described. A Lunch box or even a full locker is the WORST thing you could have in the rear. With these lockers there is alway some play. As you get on and off the gas or one wheel try's to spin faster than the other. That play is taken up and you wind up getting a Kick from the axle which will pull the Jeep one way or the other.

With the Limited slip / selectable locker that is in it. You get the advantages of limited slip when not selected and the advantages of a full locker when selected.

I have run several full lockers over the years and Broken more than my share of Lunch box lockers. Currently I run a Spool in the back and an ARB in the front. I don't recommend this setup for on road use but I WOULD rather have it than a lunch box or full locker driving at any speed on snow or slick roads.

my .02 worth
Dion

X2

Derik

ehall
02-14-2008, 12:56 PM
BTW 4x4groupbuy also has these axles with shipping at $235 per. They have close-up pics of the front axle too

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/jeep-dana-rubicon-locking-front-axle-assembly-p-5640.html

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/jeep-dana-rubicon-locking-rear-axle-assembly-p-5641.html

ehall
02-14-2008, 01:44 PM
There are different part numbers for LSD and electronic locker

P5153826 Jeep Rubicon Rear Axle Assembly, Locking Differential, 4.10 Axle Ratio 1185.00
P5153827 Jeep Rubicon Rear Axle Assembly, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 Axle Ratio 985.00

If the electronic locker is *also* limited slip then yeah that would be a fine choice
BTW x2, Mopar says the first one is open differential with locker, not limited slip with locker

Bill Dodson
02-14-2008, 02:02 PM
BTW 4x4groupbuy also has these axles with shipping at $235 per. They have close-up pics of the front axle too

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/jeep-dana-rubicon-locking-front-axle-assembly-p-5640.html

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/jeep-dana-rubicon-locking-rear-axle-assembly-p-5641.html

Hi Eric- Good find, thanks. These are a little more expensive than buying them through mopartsracing.com, but having them shipped is a nice option. They'll ship a pair of axles for $325. I don't think I could pick them up myself from North Carolina and beat that cost.

I'm glad you were able to make last night's meeting :cheers:
Bill

slorocco
02-14-2008, 03:53 PM
That's a good price on shipping. I'm look at almost twice that price for shipping on an axle from someone else. Well, I guess it is a little farther away too.

POWERW@GON
02-15-2008, 07:11 AM
That's a good price on shipping. I'm look at almost twice that price for shipping on an axle from someone else. Well, I guess it is a little farther away too.

And its not for a Jeep! :cheers:

slorocco
02-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Oh yeah, that too. Is that a good thing?

POWERW@GON
02-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Oh yeah, that too. Is that a good thing?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bill Dodson
03-04-2008, 11:59 AM
4WD Hardware has these axles for a little more than mopar performance, but 4WD will deliver the pair for $175. Bottom line, front & rear, delivered: $3005.

The bad news is that they said they couldn't give me the 10% off because this is already a sale price.

Bill

YJHAMMER11
03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Did you order them?? Was this the same bone head wrt/the so called complex electrical requirements

Bill Dodson
03-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Did you order them?? Was this the same bone head wrt/the so called complex electrical requirements

Yep, they're ordered :pirate1:

YJHAMMER11
03-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Good deal, the race is on. Might ought to take up drinking now! ALOT

Tom
03-06-2008, 08:02 PM
The JK axles are also much stronger than the TJ 44's. Someone posted the following on PBB

"One other thing... when Dana designed these axles, they wanted to call them a D47 because they really have no common parts with a D44 and everything is beefier, but Jeep said they wanted them called D44 cause the consumer already knows the name/history."
"they are very beefy. They even use the bigger 7/8 tie rod ends."

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3560/gearcomprl9.jpg

It's got me tempted :)

slorocco
03-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Hey man if all those beefy pinions get you excited you should have a look at the pinion gears in a Ford 9" diff.

Tom
03-07-2008, 01:55 PM
How's it compare to a 60?

slorocco
03-07-2008, 06:23 PM
they're pretty large. plus they're supported at both ends like the 14 bolt. when I saw one it made sense why they're popular with the drag racing crowd. I used to have a good comparison pic but I can't seem to find it right now.

The Merg
03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
How's it compare to a 60?

The 9" has a lot more ground clearance while still being more than beefy, most pro rock crawlers run HP 9"s because of it.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/currie9inch/currie2.jpg

'609' axles are the cool thing to build now - 9" housing, gears, and third member, with D60 outers. Over on Pirate, it's not uncommon to hear people bemoaning the fact that they should have just built 609s instead of building up their 60s or what have you. 5 year plans for my POS include 609s. 5 year dreams, more accurately. :(

MoJoe
03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I was going to mention the 609. That is a great route to go.

Tom
03-07-2008, 10:09 PM
I was going to mention the 609. That is a great route to go.

Reading into em more now. Thanks for the info guys.

DaffyXJ
03-08-2008, 07:19 AM
That's my next front is the 609.

Use the Spider 9 housing, Solid axle Inner C's, 60 knuckles, 35 spline shafts.
Dont know if I can swing the 1600 Hi-9 center chunk, so may run LP for the near future.