PDA

View Full Version : YJ build axles,suspension, seats, armor,etc.

POWERW@GON
04-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey guys, I'm ready to build the front D44 and the 8.8. Switch from the 5in CSC to the spring over.

D44: Strip, clean, install ARB, 5.13s, 4340 shafts, super joints, knuckles,high steer arms, new rotors, pads and calipers.Weld trac bar mount and spring perches

8.8: Strip,clean,install ARB,5.13s,new rotors pads and calipers,weld tubes and new spring perches

Strip the CSC off, install spring over springs and greasable shackles
Lookin at the Bilstien 5150s

What do I need for hydro assist steering?
Looking at tires. 36/13.5/16 I'm leaning towards the IROKs
Suggestions?
Air source? Just enough for tires and ARBs
Seats? Gunny do you have the BAJA,or BAJA SS etc.
Tube fenders with 3in flare.

I may start Sat. evening cutting the mounts off.

Gunny
04-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I have the Baja Ultra SS w/black cloth center, was $219 each shipped.

The Baja SS w/black cloth center, was $169 each shipped. Supposed to be a little shorter and single shoulder harnes hole.

Here's who I got mine through. Trailworks 615-451-9910

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=75083

Lax22
04-16-2008, 12:29 PM
If I was in town i would come by and help. So you are welding your 8.8 tubes. I wanted to do that as well. I am also toying with the idea of putting ome money into the front axle on the cherokee. I already picked up the gears and carrier and i am wondering if i should get a locker and some shafts for it as well. Sounds like you are going to have a sick rig though.

Jeepster
04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
What do I need for hydro assist steering?
Looking at tires. 36/13.5/16 I'm leaning towards the IROKs
Suggestions?
Air source? Just enough for tires and ARBs

I may start Sat. evening cutting the mounts off.

For they Hydro assist I did a more detailed write up a while back for tom.
But basically you need to Tap the Steering box and add a single ended ram between the Axle and the Tierod. With Brackets and hoses.

air Source.
I use a Scuba tank. There are a lot of little Electric pumps in the $200-$400 range. Or On-Board-Air with a York Aircompresses off of an older Jeep Wagoneer or Ford truck. (most powerfull option and can even run air tools.)

Will need some type of Tank, Pressure regulator, Fittings, plumbing.

Good luck,
Dion

Lax22
04-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Another good, and cheap, tank for some on board air are those R22 Frion (probably spelled wrong) tanks that they use to re-charge AC systems. They are also pretty light and can be easily moved in and out of the truck.

YJHAMMER11
04-17-2008, 08:28 PM
FOr the hydro assist check out PSC. Drill and Tap your old box and rebuild while your at it. This way saves you about 300.00 instead of buying their sterring box.

I run the VIAIR 450C, constant duty and does it all. You need to regulate for the arb down to 90PSI. or run a 90PSI switch on the compressor. You cna buy either but the 150 is better for tires.

The 5150's are nice. I like them.

YOu will probably need to go hi steer. Parts MIke..

IROKS OR SX's or bias ply claws

POWERW@GON
04-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I have the high steer arms and knuckles.Just need to get the heavy tie rod setup.
Pretty sure I going with the IROKs.

I really like the Viair setups.

Waiting so I can order all of this stuff at cost.

Tom
04-17-2008, 10:42 PM
The Irok's are nice. I'm either going with those myself or the Pitbull Rocker's once the vette is sold. I agree with Darryl on the pump. The Viair 450C is what I bought as well, along with a Viair 3gal tank. Nice little pump and not too expensive.

POWERW@GON
04-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Worked on the axles this weekend for a little bit. Got the stock brackets and perches cut off and smoothed. What a pain in the arse. The beer was great!

We ordered the lift for dad's XJ. Rubicon Express 4.5 super flex from our friends from 4wd.com. We'll be installing it next weekend at pops in California. If anybody isn't going to Big Dogs, stop by for a cold one if nothing else.:cheers: PM me for cell number or directions

Tom
04-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I'd definitely be there if I wasn't going out of town.