Hard Rock Crawlers of Southern Maryland  

Go Back   Hardrockcrawlers > User Forum > Jeep Showcase

Old 01-05-2017, 11:13 AM

tworley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My build

Still good on the cooling system, going to call it a success

Went out News Years Eve. We have had a very warm winter so far here in CO (until today, over 12"). This is a good trail to base a build on. Rated 4 on the low end, and 7 on the high end. It gives you a little bit of everything. I have ran it a few times now. This time I have found out that sliders are my next upgrade. I dented the tub a small amount when I came down hard on my tube steps. 35s would also have been a help as I got hung up on a pretty good rock in the last picture, just need an inch or two to overcome it.

In other good news--Looks like I will be headed out to Maryland in February for a 6-9 month job. Bad News--Working 7 days a week. I am sure it will settle down after the first month or two and Ill have time to catch a meeting or two. Maybe even some wheeling

Last edited by tworley; 01-05-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:44 PM

Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworley View Post
Still good on the cooling system, going to call it a success

Went out News Years Eve. We have had a very warm winter so far here in CO (until today, over 12"). This is a good trail to base a build on. Rated 4 on the low end, and 7 on the high end. It gives you a little bit of everything. I have ran it a few times now. This time I have found out that sliders are my next upgrade. I dented the tub a small amount when I came down hard on my tube steps. 35s would also have been a help as I got hung up on a pretty good rock in the last picture, just need an inch or two to overcome it.

In other good news--Looks like I will be headed out to Maryland in February for a 6-9 month job. Bad News--Working 7 days a week. I am sure it will settle down after the first month or two and Ill have time to catch a meeting or two. Maybe even some wheeling
Jealous of the snow....

I ran 33's here for quite a while, there are a lot of similarities to CO wheeling, but LCOG generally doesn't work in the rocks here on the east coast.

Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos
Old 01-16-2017, 01:22 PM

Every now and then I felt like I was riding in a boat going down the highway. Jeep would float left then to the right. Everything suspension wise is pretty new so I narrowed it down to being low caster. Met with a friend of mine who has a warm shop and a forklift. We extended my lower control arms 5/16" and checked for driveshaft bind by lifting the front end to full droop. Tracks better now and the wondering appears to be no more. I think when it is nicer out I will extend them to the point where vibrations are felt then back off. I had plenty more caster to gain.

The only way to get into his shop, closest thing to wheeling here now that the snow decided to fall.

Last edited by tworley; 01-16-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Changed the oil a couple weeks ago. Shell Rotella T6 10W 30 with a mopar filter. Guy at the register tried to tell me I was buying diesel oil

Picked up a new head unit for a decent price. Old sony unit was installed by the PO in the early 00s I imagine. Half the lights didnt work, sat in the dash crooked, and didnt eject my CDs very well (I still listen to CDs). New one is a Kenwood 168U. 55W vs the old 30. Sound is much better with the polk speakers. Itll work for my rig.

Also fixed my driver front seat

Old 04-09-2017, 01:14 PM

A couple updates...

Finally got around to ordering the speedo healer. Since installing the super short sye last summer my odometer/speedometer has been off about 11%. This thing is super simple to install, and I had it calibrated in about 10 min. Speedo is dead on throughout the entire range.

Have a buddy who rebuilds axles on the side. He has a D44 that he is missing the axle shafts on and cant seem to find any usable replacements (used). I offered mine up for sale to him. I got a decent price for them and figured it was a great excuse to upgrade to chromos in the rear

Revolution Gear & Axle 4340 Chromos. I should have a hard time breaking these.

On the job front--Our project was pushed back until August I decided to decline the work now and focus on my current position here in CO. My fiance' will be heading back here in July too as she misses being near family and friends. I told the manager I will still help out if he needs it up there. So there is still a possibility I will meet some of you folks. Hope you dont mind if I stick around.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:33 AM

Installed and ready to go. Very simple process. The shafts come assembled already minus the studs. Installed those and torqued to 90 ft/lbs. Remove the 4 nuts holding the backing plate on your old shaft, and slide out. Slide in the new shaft and reinstall with the new backing plate. Ill do the fronts eventually someday. 35s are the goal

Old 04-25-2017, 02:51 PM

My duct taped seat in the previous post has been wearing off in the hot weather and leaving a sticky residue. I had quite a bit of ebay bucks available and used it to get a discounted price on a set of Bestop seat covers. They fit like a glove and have extra padding that raises me up a bit, plus it adds a little more structural integrity to the side where the foam and seat material were wearing away. I think with more butt time and some warmer weather that they will form perfectly.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:08 AM

Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road

we see folks break front shafts more often than rear's. good excuse to buy new rear shafts though.

I got lucky a few years back and picked up a set of brand new superior front choromoly shafts to have as spares. Guy got them from someone and couldn't use them. keep your eye out you might find something cheaper.

I was contemplating selling them and going RCV, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them. maybe if I ever break my current chormoly set.

Do you plan to come to the 4x4 Expo in June?

Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos
Old 04-28-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Hokie View Post
we see folks break front shafts more often than rear's. good excuse to buy new rear shafts though.

I got lucky a few years back and picked up a set of brand new superior front choromoly shafts to have as spares. Guy got them from someone and couldn't use them. keep your eye out you might find something cheaper.

I was contemplating selling them and going RCV, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them. maybe if I ever break my current chormoly set.

Do you plan to come to the 4x4 Expo in June?
Same here in CO, more breaks on the front than the rear. I was wheeling with a buddy who sheered the ears of his passenger front and finished the trial in three wheel drive once we pulled the shaft! I scour craigslist daily for parts If you ever change your mind on those superiors...give me shout!

I will miss the 4x4 Expo unfortunately. I will be in the state for a couple weeks in July though. Hope to make one of the meetings if everything works out.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:27 PM

New unit bearings. Hoping to install these next weekend with a set of ball joints. My current ones are shot and figured while I had everything off why not update the bearings. With 100k on them its just a piece of mind.