Hard Rock Crawlers of Southern Maryland  

Go Back   Hardrockcrawlers > User Forum > Jeep Showcase

Old 08-03-2011, 11:38 AM

canuckgirl is on a distinguished road
Default Hannibal's Build- 99 TJ

I just wanted to let the guys I met in York know that I've actually done some work on my TJ!

So after a ridiculously long 4 days of blood, sweat and welder's flash, I feel like the TJ is built the way I want (until I start getting into the little things I want to do). The Jeep had typical rust issues on the fenders. And by typical, I mean that I have yet to see one that is as rotted as my driver's side was. The solution? Tube fenders! Now, I pretty much hate tube fenders, but the opportunity was given to make a set and it was easier than finding decent stock ones (trust me when I say my dad was less than thrilled about this project when I showed up with 2 bent tubes and a few pieces of sheet metal). Anyhow... on to the good stuff, like pictures.

2" coil spacers were installed a couple of months ago. I really need to get some new shocks though.

After the spacers were installed

Now it was time to start taking apart the old fenders (ps- instructions from the internet for pre-fabbed kits are a good idea as a guideline, but man.... those directions do not apply when you're building from scratch).

Clearly I did not realize the importance of taking off the old flares first. These got in the way more than you'd think. I learned my lesson on the passenger side.

Time for shiny new steel!

All welded on

We decided to reuse the inner bracket from the old fenders for a little extra support on the front (not a huge fan of this, since I would have preferred a more hidden bracket, but I can always change it later)

Next came the lights. Please keep in mind that my dad lives in the country. There are little to no options for auto parts stores without driving 45 minutes to Owen Sound. That being said, there is a Carquest in Wiarton and I had the genius idea to check there for trailer lights. They had one better and offered a 3-wire truck light. Booya! So then it was time to take the hole saw to the grille (and yes, this made me nervous to do). Nervousness was deserved, since the hole saw teeth quit about halfway through. So it was the grinder and sawzall to the rescue!

So 4 days later (including one day off to rest my dad's eyes from his welder's flash--- yeah, I said wear the mask. He says: I was a welder for 30 years and I know what I'm doing...) and this was the finished product- complete with my 33's on soft 8's

I also got a sweet new bumper for the Quadratec tent at the All Breeds Jeep Show in York, PA a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to getting my shackle in. Oh.. and my pretty tire cover. And you can just see the tip of the new tailpipe that I put in along with a new muffler this weekend. That was... annoying.

So that is Hannibal as he sits today. Next on the list is mostly cosmetic stuff... probably going to do some fog lights, but I'm still deciding on which bumper I want on the front. I need to do a little body work on the sides where rust is starting and one day I'll get around to herculining the floors. By the Turkey Run, I think it'll be pretty amazing
Old 08-03-2011, 04:26 PM

Jeepster has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hannibal's Build- 99 TJ

Wow.
Looks good.
You have been busy.

"The Pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more." fortune cookie

Dion

Former Buggy = TREX

Current is TBD
Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 PM

Sooo much work! I cut both my hands on rusty metal while I was trying to get the wrench up to get some stupid bolts off. It was like a Jeep stigmata. My dad was freaking because one wouldn't stop bleeding and he kept saying I should go to the hospital and get a tetnus shot. I think he just wanted a break from welding.

Things would have gone by so much faster if we had a plasma cutter, but instead everything was done with a grinder and almost 30 cutting disks. I am now a pro-star with a grinder

You have to let me know when the Turkey Run is! Shannon was asking about it today.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM

Jeepster has disabled reputation

Oh those rust cuts can be painful. I have had my share.

I will say I love my Plasma cutter. One of the Best tools in the shop.

You had a LOT of rust to deal with I'm glad to see it cut out.

I will ping on the current officers to go ahead and set the dates and get things rolling for the Turkey run.

Hope the cuts heal soon and again jeep looks good.

"The Pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more." fortune cookie

Dion

Former Buggy = TREX

Current is TBD
Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 PM
HRC CLUB MEMBER

mhenry79 is on a distinguished road

Looks like a lot of good work, and glad to see you have some new tires too!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 PM

slorocco will become famous soon enough

Wow, you've been busy. Lookin good. We'll definitely keep you posted on the Turkey run as plans firm up.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM
The Little XJ that Could (Break)

DaffyXJ has a spectacular aura aboutDaffyXJ has a spectacular aura about

Good Job. Say I'm making mine this weekend, if you're available. stop on by, could use the experience. LOL..
Oh and I too have a plasma cutter.

I Like the front light idea.

Derik
Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 PM

lol....i was just saying to my friend that this is the first day i've had off where i dont have any jeep repair plans.

then i remembered that i still havent got around to fixing the rear window from the soft top i bought down there. i would rather go help you mock up fenders than sew that bad boy up. It's supposed to rain all week, so maybe that will motivate me a little more
Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 AM
The Little XJ that Could (Break)

DaffyXJ has a spectacular aura aboutDaffyXJ has a spectacular aura about

How'd the sewing party go?

I got my tubes made, at least for now.. My main goal was to tie the front stinger into something so it doesn't just collapse first time I touch a tree.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 AM

I never got around to it. I need to get some heavy duty thread or something. I am pretty happy about having the windows in, since it's supposed to rain the next 4 days.

And why do you think you're going to hit a tree? I thought ditches were your downfall