Hard Rock Crawlers of Southern Maryland  

Go Back   Hardrockcrawlers > User Forum > Builds/Clinics

Old 07-20-2015, 10:00 AM

britsheabla is on a distinguished road
Default The Curse of the KJ

I wasn't too sure where to post this so here it goes. Im looking for any advice and help I can get at this point. Two weeks ago the ignition switch and ignition switch pin (i think) failed so those were replaced. Then yesterday as I was driving my oil light came on, so I get to a stop light and decide I would pull over to check my oil level, my Jeep burns so much oil its ridiculous. So the light turns green for me to go and the Jeep won't even move, so I have to turn the key like im starting it again even though the Jeep was already running. So after I got it moving I pulled over and checked the oil level and it was just under the "add" line on the dipstick. so not too low, this shouldnt have caused it too "stall out" on me. is this a problem with the oil pump or the oil pressure sending unit?
I did add a quart of oil and the light isnt illuminated anymore. I just want to know what the issue is.
please help! thank you!
Brittany
Old 07-20-2015, 10:04 AM

Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Curse of the KJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by britsheabla View Post
I wasn't too sure where to post this so here it goes. Im looking for any advice and help I can get at this point. Two weeks ago the ignition switch and ignition switch pin (i think) failed so those were replaced. Then yesterday as I was driving my oil light came on, so I get to a stop light and decide I would pull over to check my oil level, my Jeep burns so much oil its ridiculous. So the light turns green for me to go and the Jeep won't even move, so I have to turn the key like im starting it again even though the Jeep was already running. So after I got it moving I pulled over and checked the oil level and it was just under the "add" line on the dipstick. so not too low, this shouldnt have caused it too "stall out" on me. is this a problem with the oil pump or the oil pressure sending unit?
I did add a quart of oil and the light isnt illuminated anymore. I just want to know what the issue is.
please help! thank you!
Brittany
Did the engine actually cut off on you at the stop light or did the Key fall back into the ACC position and the Jeep woudlnt move? can you explain a bit more.

sounds like your burning of oil and "stalling" issue are unrelated, but I could be wrong.

Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos
Old 07-20-2015, 10:10 AM

The Jeep actually shut off, the key didnt move back to the acc position it just died. Like it wanted to be done driving so it cut itself off, so I had to restart it. It was weird. But I didnt have to turn the key like i normally would to start it, you know to the on and then to start it. I just had to do the one click to start it, if that makes sense at all. Im not explaining this very well.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:21 AM

thats a little strange.

there are tons of people with ingntion problems with the Libertys. wonder if something is still wrong with the replacement switch. or the transmission interlock switch.

do you have a ton of crap on your key chain which caused the key to turn back one click by itself? Chevy's currently have that recall problem i think. unlikely, but potentially a simple solution.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:03 AM

i do have a few other keys on with my Jeep key that could have caused it to switch back. I can take them off and see if that helps, that would definitely be an easy fix!
Old 07-20-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britsheabla View Post
i do have a few other keys on with my Jeep key that could have caused it to switch back. I can take them off and see if that helps, that would definitely be an easy fix!
I would think you need more than just a few key.

this is what i'm imagining...

Old 07-21-2015, 01:52 AM

Oh no nothing too extravagant like that.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:15 AM

Jeepster has disabled reputation

It sounds like two different issues maybe.

The first is it sounds like it just stalled or cut off. This is why you just had to turn it the last detente to start it. Don't know why it would do that from what you explained except maybe it was saying. Its too hot I don't want to move right now. Give me a minute. Let us know if this happens again and we can figure out more.

2nd is the Oil Light. On my TJ I had the oil sender go out and it would cause the light to come on when there was still oil in it. This is a common problem for Jeep. This is a fairly easy swap and where I would start. If it was really low on oil or the oil pump was bad you would hear the valves knocking and it making some funny noises.

Hope this helps.

"The Pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more." fortune cookie

Dion

Buggy = TREX
Old 07-21-2015, 06:16 AM

Jeepster has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Hokie View Post
I would think you need more than just a few key.

this is what i'm imagining...

Hey You found my spare key ring.

"The Pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more." fortune cookie

Dion

Buggy = TREX