Hard Rock Crawlers of Southern Maryland  

Go Back   Hardrockcrawlers > User Forum > Builds/Clinics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2015, 05:53 PM
x19delta x19delta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Huntingtown, MD
Posts: 66
x19delta is on a distinguished road
Default Ready for my lift. Questions...

Ok, I have about $2k ready to purchase a lift kit for my 04 rubicon w/5 speed trans. Everything is stock.

1. Which long arm 4" lift kit should I get in my budget? (35's are as big as I'll likely go)

2. Who here has a veh lift and tools to get it done?

3. What will be the charge...I'll be helping of course so I know how it all goes together WHEN I break it lol

Thanks guys!
__________________
2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited

SOLD! 2004 TJ Rubicon

SOLD! 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

-Sid

Last edited by x19delta; 10-30-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Jeepin Hokie's Avatar
Jeepin Hokie Jeepin Hokie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,033
Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ready for my lift. Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x19delta View Post
Ok, I have about $2k ready to purchase a lift kit for my 04 rubicon w/5 speed trans. Everything is stock.

1. Which long arm 4" lift kit should I get in my budget? (35's are as big as I'll likely go)

2. Who here has a veh lift and tools to get it done?

3. What will be the charge...I'll be helping of course so I know how it all goes together WHEN I break it lol

Thanks guys!
Are you set on long arms?

modern short arms with good joints (johnny joints or Duroflex joints) are just as capable and dont get hung up in the rocks as much. they are simple to install and cheaper to purchase.

if it were me and i was starting from a stockish TJ. I would go currie 4" springs, metalcloak control arms and the shocks of your choice (i'm looking at outboarding a set of Fox remote res. in the rear).

for your $2k, you can get a run of the mill long arm or you can get high quality short arms.


biggest bang for the buck is a tummy tuck though. getting the skid plate up and out of the way of the rocks 2.5" is like putting 5" larger tires on.
__________________
Steve


Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-2015, 08:04 AM
x19delta x19delta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Huntingtown, MD
Posts: 66
x19delta is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ready for my lift. Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Hokie View Post
Are you set on long arms?

modern short arms with good joints (johnny joints or Duroflex joints) are just as capable and dont get hung up in the rocks as much. they are simple to install and cheaper to purchase.

if it were me and i was starting from a stockish TJ. I would go currie 4" springs, metalcloak control arms and the shocks of your choice (i'm looking at outboarding a set of Fox remote res. in the rear).

for your $2k, you can get a run of the mill long arm or you can get high quality short arms.


biggest bang for the buck is a tummy tuck though. getting the skid plate up and out of the way of the rocks 2.5" is like putting 5" larger tires on.
Tummy tuck is a future plan. Want to get my wheel wells off the rear tires right now though

I'm not set on long arm...funny though, I was just reading about long arm vs short arm. I think you're right about a short arm kit though. How do you feel about the currie 4" kit? I don't know what all I need basically to break it all up and order individual items. So a kit is easiest for me lol.
__________________
2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited

SOLD! 2004 TJ Rubicon

SOLD! 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

-Sid
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-2015, 08:19 AM
DieselDent's Avatar
DieselDent DieselDent is offline
HRC CLUB MEMBER
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bushwood, MD
Posts: 1,054
DieselDent is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ready for my lift. Questions...

I agree with Steve, long arm options for around 2k are pretty slim and usually aren't engineered all that well. You would end up with less ground clearance and worse road handling.

Short arm with better shocks and a tummy tuck is going to be a much better all round rig.
__________________
Rob
78CJ5
98 TJ
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Jeepin Hokie's Avatar
Jeepin Hokie Jeepin Hokie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,033
Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ready for my lift. Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x19delta View Post
Tummy tuck is a future plan. Want to get my wheel wells off the rear tires right now though

I'm not set on long arm...funny though, I was just reading about long arm vs short arm. I think you're right about a short arm kit though. How do you feel about the currie 4" kit? I don't know what all I need basically to break it all up and order individual items. So a kit is easiest for me lol.
if you want a tummy tuck you will have to think about what suspension kit you end up with. some of the long arm kits bolt to a central skid plate. at which point you are stuck with their skid and a TT is out of the question.

if you were to start from scratch, you would need.
springs
shocks
track bars x2 (w/ angled rear axle side mount)
control arms x8
double cardan shaft for your 241
steering upgrade
front brake lines from a YJ
skid plates of your choice
Novak cable shifter (optional)


you can piece it together as you need, but some things needs to be done at the same time.

to do a 4" lift with good quality equipment and not half assing it, your looking at a good chunk of change. It takes alot to properly run 35's and be reliable on the trails. sure you can slap longer spring and shocks on, but if you dont address your stock steering or axle shafts youll be broken before long if you wheel it hard (or just get unlucky). Plenty of people wheel green and blue trails with 35"s, but you can do those trails with your stock Rubicon.

I would suggest coming to the Turkey Run (with or without your Jeep) and seeing what is out there and what you truly want to build your Jeep to do. obviously the more hardcore trails you want to run, the more work you jeep needs.
__________________
Steve


Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos

Last edited by Jeepin Hokie; 10-30-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-01-2015, 04:49 PM
x19delta x19delta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Huntingtown, MD
Posts: 66
x19delta is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ready for my lift. Questions...

Thanks for the advise guys! I just got the Rubicon Express 4.5" Super flex short arm kit. I got a Tom Woods CV driveshaft, currie currectlync system and ARB diff covers as well. I figure this will get me off to a good start!

My understanding is that I should be able to install this lift with simple tools like jack, jack stands, etc. Any tips or trick anyone would like to share to save me time/troubles?
__________________
2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited

SOLD! 2004 TJ Rubicon

SOLD! 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

-Sid
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-02-2015, 05:52 AM
Mowillys's Avatar
Mowillys Mowillys is offline
HRC CLUB MEMBER
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California MD
Posts: 1,419
Mowillys is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ready for my lift. Questions...

Only tip I can recommend is to read the instructions 3-4 times, any hardware from your jeep that you will have to re-use, inspect and replace if you think it needs it, especially bolt heads, bushings, and such.
__________________
Tank

"Don't laugh, I could be your recovery vehicle!"

-1952 Willys Overland
Bone stock
-1957 FC-150
Like New!
-2008 Rubicon 2 door
Bone stock
-1995 XJ
With a few daughter dents
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-02-2015, 06:01 AM
x19delta x19delta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Huntingtown, MD
Posts: 66
x19delta is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ready for my lift. Questions...

How will my gearing be with 35s and stock rubicon 4.10? Will it be ok for wheeling? Don't care about highway since I won't be driving it often on the road.
__________________
2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited

SOLD! 2004 TJ Rubicon

SOLD! 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

-Sid
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-02-2015, 07:02 AM
Jeepin Hokie's Avatar
Jeepin Hokie Jeepin Hokie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,033
Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ready for my lift. Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x19delta View Post
How will my gearing be with 35s and stock rubicon 4.10? Will it be ok for wheeling? Don't care about highway since I won't be driving it often on the road.
4.10's will be OK with 35's provided your using low range. the 4:1 transfer case will make up for the lack of gearing, but only in low range since 4:1 ratio is only for low. JDBoss on the forum ran a 04 Rubicon on 35's and did well, he had the 4 speed auto though.

my only concern with what you listed is the ARB diff covers. they arent very slim and tend to hit the track bar frame side mount without a bunch of bumpstop. there are better, cheaper, options out there.

as far as installation goes, spray everything down with PB blaster (or other penetrant) for a few days prior to the planned install date. spray everything that needs to come out, especially the rear shocks upper mount, they have a tendancy to break off when trying to take them out. control arms, track bars, sway bar links...
__________________
Steve


Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-09-2015, 11:13 AM
x19delta x19delta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Huntingtown, MD
Posts: 66
x19delta is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ready for my lift. Questions...

Anyone with experience installing a lift kit have some time to donate? 4.5" Superflex RE Lift is installed, just need someone that knows how to fine tweak it, track bar adjust, control arm adjust, etc. before I tighten everything up. I'd like to get this all done today so it can go in for alignment tomorrow if possible. Thanks!
__________________
2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited

SOLD! 2004 TJ Rubicon

SOLD! 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

-Sid
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Contents Copyright Hardrockcrawlers of Southern Maryland