Hard Rock Crawlers of Southern Maryland  

Go Back   Hardrockcrawlers > User Forum > Builds/Clinics

Old 11-09-2015, 01:16 PM

Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ready for my lift. Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x19delta View Post
Anyone with experience installing a lift kit have some time to donate? 4.5" Superflex RE Lift is installed, just need someone that knows how to fine tweak it, track bar adjust, control arm adjust, etc. before I tighten everything up. I'd like to get this all done today so it can go in for alignment tomorrow if possible. Thanks!
a full 4 wheel alignment should include track bar adjustments, control arm length, as well as setting the front toe.

afterall they cant adjust the caster without control arm length changes.

I would offer to help, but I dont have the time this week.

go onto Jeepforum and research with caster angle is reccomended for a TJ with 35's, I guarantee the alignment shop doesnt know stock specs shouldnt be used. truly thats the only one really needs to be set. track bars center the wheels from Left to Right (if your off a little no big deal), toe should be between 1/16" to 1/8" inward.

the only concern is making sure they dont push the front axle forward when setting caster. if you do, the drag link will end up smacking into the axle side track bar mount when the wheel is turned all the way to the right.

as far as the rear axle is concerned, pinion angle is the only one that matters to within a degree. track bar length can be slightly off without much consequence. with the weight of the vehicle on the tires, measure fron the tire to the frame on both sides till it matches. pinion angle needs to have the pinion point directly at the output flange of the 241. the pinion angle and the driveshaft should be the same.

Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos

Last edited by Jeepin Hokie; 11-09-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:06 PM

x19delta is on a distinguished road

Thanks Steve...I'll give it a shot.

SOLD! 2004 TJ Rubicon

SOLD! 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

-Sid

Last edited by x19delta; 11-09-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:03 PM

Ok Steve, gotta pick your brain some more Thanks by the way!

So lift is installed, everything is aligned, I realized I need an adjustable track bar in the rear now cause the axle is to far to the right. So the problem I'm having is this...

1. From start to about 30-35mph I get a bad vibration, over 35 is calms down.

2. While driving down the road, if I take it out of gear and coast...I get a grinding/whining noise...

I have not installed my Tom Woods CV driveshaft yet (they sent me the wrong one) and the rear driveshaft/axle angle isn't aligned yet (waiting for the new driveshaft to install it first)
Would all of what I'm describing be a result of the driveshaft and axle being to the right? Or should I start diagnosing and fixing something else in the meantime?

SOLD! 2004 TJ Rubicon

-Sid
Old 11-11-2015, 08:47 PM

95% of what you said makes me think the stock rear DS is not operating at the correct angles. Which o would expect. Very simple to test. Pull the shaft and drive in 4wd and drive with your front axle. Nothing wrong with driving with just the front until the new rear TW shaft shows up.

Your grinding out if gear interests me though. I'm not good with manuals and clutches, but I would wait to dig into anything else until you get the rear shaft installed.

Good luck, post back up.

Quote:
Ok Steve, gotta pick your brain some more Thanks by the way!

So lift is installed, everything is aligned, I realized I need an adjustable track bar in the rear now cause the axle is to far to the right. So the problem I'm having is this...

1. From start to about 30-35mph I get a bad vibration, over 35 is calms down.

2. While driving down the road, if I take it out of gear and coast...I get a grinding/whining noise...

I have not installed my Tom Woods CV driveshaft yet (they sent me the wrong one) and the rear driveshaft/axle angle isn't aligned yet (waiting for the new driveshaft to install it first)
Would all of what I'm describing be a result of the driveshaft and axle being to the right? Or should I start diagnosing and fixing something else in the meantime?

Old 11-15-2015, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the help Steve. It was the driveshaft causing the vibration and noises. I got an Adams 1350 shaft for it. Although, sadly after all the work I did to it, I like the way a 4 door feels and miss the extra room, so I'm going to sell it and get a 4door rubicon and build it up Yes, I do enjoy mod'ing jeeps lol.

SOLD! 2004 TJ Rubicon

-Sid
Old 11-15-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help Steve. It was the driveshaft causing the vibration and noises. I got an Adams 1350 shaft for it. Although, sadly after all the work I did to it, I like the way a 4 door feels and miss the extra room, so I'm going to sell it and get a 4door rubicon and build it up Yes, I do enjoy mod'ing jeeps lol.
Wheeling is much more fun than building the jeep. Whatever you end up with hope to see you on the trails.