Hard Rock Crawlers of Southern Maryland  

Go Back   Hardrockcrawlers > User Forum > Trips/Events

Old 05-21-2018, 07:04 AM
Grumpy Old Fart

Gunny is a jewel in the roughGunny is a jewel in the roughGunny is a jewel in the rough
Default Adventure Challenge Results

What a turnout we had, even with the horrible weather Friday night.

But if you weren't there, it sucks to be you.

I'll leave the write ups to all the folks that participated, but I wanted to post up the results from the event.

Teams were given no advanced notice as to what the events would be until they arrived at the start of each event.

Friday Night, upon check-in the teams were given a Scavenger Hunt list of items they needed by start time Saturday morning.

They were: A Stuffed Animal, Water Squirting Device, Inflatable Pool Toy. And they needed to drive their trail rig to get them. Most went to Walmart, about 17 miles away.

Saturday Morning at the drivers meeting team names were given, by the stuffed animals they picked. Teams were:
Pink Poodles- Austin Stewart and Raul Lugo
NASCAR Mickey- Steve Moritz and Patrick Kelly
Woodchucks- John Kelly and Josh Felts
Underdog- Sam Drury and John Tennyson
Purple Fox's- Jennifer Jackson and Valecia Suser
My Little Pony- Justin and Jason Reithmeyer
Happy Feet- Josh Reithmeyer and Janene Schmidt

First event, teams were given a 5 min staggered start, and a map of 13 locations throughout the park to find, Photograph a team member with the item and there mascot, bring the photos back to receive points. 2 hour time limit, (-2) points for every 10 minutes late....

Results of event 1 were:
Woodchucks- 46
Happy Feet-46
Nascar Mickey- 44
Purple Foxes-44
My Little Pony-42
Pink Poodles-23
Underdog-23
05 Polaris Sportsman 800

Last edited by Gunny; 05-21-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 AM
Grumpy Old Fart

Gunny is a jewel in the roughGunny is a jewel in the roughGunny is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Adventure Challenge Results

Event 2 was a Barrel Race.
Dion set up a figure 8 course that included as small section of trail and some tight turns. Teams were timed over 4 laps.
Event 2 results:
NASCAR Mickey: 1 min 24 sec
Underdog: 1 min 29 sec
Purple Foxes: 1 min 35 sec
My Little Pony: 1 min 52 sec
Happy Feet: 1 min 59 sec
Pink Poodles: 2 min 11 sec
Scores were 10 points for 1st, 9 for 2nd, etc...

Event 3 was Tow-Rex.
Teams were to tow T-Rex up a small incline over about a 50 yard distance.
Results were:
NASCAR Mickey: 10.82 sec
Pink Poodles: 11.22 sec
Underdogs: 11.46 sec
Woodchucks: 11.59 sec
Happy Feet: 11.99 sec
Purple Foxes: 12.87 sec
My Little Pony: 15.17 sec
Scored 10 pts for 1st, 9 for 2nd, etc...
05 Polaris Sportsman 800
Old 05-21-2018, 07:33 AM
Grumpy Old Fart

Event 4 was was Water Sports.
We rented Canoes and on the lake had a race (4 teams at a time), around the island, back to the dock, using their water squirting device to fill a bucket, tipping a seesaw, then back to shore, all while filling their inflatable pool toy's. BTW, there were some pretty large pool toys purchased.
I can't find the time sheet, but I know the finishing places:
NASCAR Mickey
Woodchucks
Happy Feet
Purple Foxes
Under Dogs
My Little Pony
Pink Poodles

End of Day 1 results were:
NASCAR Mickey: 74 points
Wood Chucks: 67 points
Happy Feet: 66 points
Purple Foxes: 64 points
My Little Pony: 58 points
Under Dogs: 47 points
Pink Poodles: 36 points

All while doing this, Dion also smoked 4 pork butts and a bunch of chicken breast, we we had an awesome feast that evening, and some great times with over 30 people sitting around the fire pit that night.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800

Last edited by Gunny; 05-21-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:18 AM
Grumpy Old Fart

Sunday was planned to be a short day, with only 2 events, and a bonus.

Event 5 was Impaired Driver.
All teams were stopped short, out of site of the start line. One at a time they were brought up to the start and given their instruction.

It was a short 200 yard up and back course, and they had to avoid hitting cones along the way. Then handed a pair of BLACKED out goggles. Co-drivers were allowed verbal commands only to navigate their drivers through the course, with a 10 min time limit, 10 sec penalty for each cone hit.

Results are:
Under Dogs: 5 min 42 after 1 penalty
NASCAR Mickey: 6 min 55 sec, Clean
Purple Foxes: 7 min 48 sec after 7 penalties.
Happy Feet: 8 min 27 sec, Clean
Wood Chucks: 9 min 50 sec, Clean
My Little Pony: Timed out, 1 penalty
Pink Poodles: Timed out with 6 penalties

Event 6, Hill Climb
Set up 5 cones at different stages up the hill (U-turn Hard), 2 points for each cone reached. 10 minute time limit, following all safety rules while winching. We expected everyone to need to winch up after all the rain we had, but the hill dried out quicker than expected.
Results:
NASCAR Mickey: Top in 15 sec No winch needed

Wood Chucks: Top in 19 Sec No winch needed
Happy Feet: Top in 4 min 45 sec, winched the final gate.
My Little Pony: Top in 4 min 45 sec, winched the final gate
Purple Foxes: Top in 8 min 20 sec, winched the last 2 gates.
Underdogs: 3 gates
Pink Poodles; 3 gates and a broken front drive shaft.....

5 Bonus points if they could remove and remount an axle mounted tire, with what they had out on the trail with them.
All teams completed this with the exception of the Purple Foxes.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800

Last edited by Gunny; 05-21-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Grumpy Old Fart

Final Results are: With a possible 101 points.....

NASCAR Mickey (Steve Moritz and Patrick Kelly) 1st place, 98 points

Tie
Happy Feet (Josh Reithmeyer and Janene Schmidt) 2nd place, 88 points
Wood Chucks (John Kelly and Josh Felts) 2nd place, 88 points

Purple Foxes (Jennifer Jackson and Valecia Suser) 4th place, 82 points

My Little Pony's (Justin and Jason Reithmeyer) 5th place, 73 points

Under Dogs (Sam Drury and John Tennyson) 6th place, 68 points

Pink Poodles (Austin Stewart and Raul Lugo) 7th place, 47 points.

the Pink Poodles were also awarded the TSP (Tall Skinny Pedal) award for best display of HP while breaking something (Front Drive Shaft) on the hill climb...

One final note, Can't wait to do this again.......
05 Polaris Sportsman 800

Last edited by Gunny; 05-21-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Club Secretary

waterlogd2005 is on a distinguished road

We finished the blind driver. We went with a bent tie rod until we timed out. Parshley said to remove the goggles to check out the vehicle that we would not be penalized for that due to vehicle safety, we checked out the jeep, he said our clock was still running. If Parshley had not said we could remove the goggles they would not have been removed as the vehicle was still drivable. We checked out the tie rod. Justin got back in put the goggles back on and continued driving and I was navigating until out 10 minutes were up. We timed out but we didn't give up till the 10 minutes were up. We navigated with a bent tie rod with the goggles on. We apparently touched 1 cone but that was before the tie rod bent.

Former owner of a 78 K20 called Green Beast.
88 Cherokee XJ with 6.5 inch spring lift running 33s. The Grey Ghost.

Last edited by waterlogd2005; 05-21-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:16 PM
Grumpy Old Fart

Fixed. Sorry, just going by what was on the score sheets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogd2005 View Post
We finished the blind driver. We went with a bent tie rod until we timed out. Parshley said to remove the goggles to check out the vehicle that we would not be penalized for that due to vehicle safety, we checked out the jeep, he said our clock was still running. If Parshley had not said we could remove the goggles they would not have been removed as the vehicle was still drivable. We checked out the tie rod. Justin got back in put the goggles back on and continued driving and I was navigating until out 10 minutes were up. We timed out but we didn't give up till the 10 minutes were up. We navigated with a bent tie rod with the goggles on. We apparently touched 1 cone but that was before the tie rod bent.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800
Old 05-21-2018, 02:11 PM

Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road

What an awesome weekend. This was a significant departure from our normal wheeling trips. By the smiles on everyone's faces I presume everyone else had a great time as well.

Now for details regarding our winning weekend...

Our team name was intended to be Rubber Ducky Racing; so to be funny I brought a big inflatable rubber ducky pool float with me to strap to the roof. This being a fun event I wanted to bring some levity to the trails. The sight of a big yellow duck riding on the top of the jeep through the woods was a hoot. Got lots of laughs and plenty of looks driving through camp. The kids smiled and the adults scratched their heads. On a side note, that thing held up through the entire weekend, even taking out a few low hanging branches.

1. Scavenger Hunt: Patrick and I, along with John and Josh; went into Walmart for supplies. Water squirting device was a simple pump action squirt gun which apparently was defective. Stuffed animal was the little Mickey Mouse race car driver. Inflatable toy was water wings.

2. Selfie photo challenge went great. Patrick planned out the route and we hit the trials with only one team in front of us. We found all but one of the locations with 45 minutes left in the 2 hour time limit so we decided to try to find it. Turns out we were taking a short cut up the hill to bunny hole and were one trail away from it. With 12 minutes to spare we bombed through the woods to get back before the 2 hour time limit. Gunny, Patrick and I went out on the four wheelers to find the missing location; which lead to my wheeler running out of gas and being stranded for a while until gunny came back with t-rex and a gas can.

3. Barrel Race was awesome. My plan was to stay in 2wd if possible and keep a quick steady pace without errors. Lap one was slow but wanted to learn the course. For some reason I engaged the rear locker in an attempt to fishtail around the cone. That was never going to work and the locker only hurt me turn fast. Laps 2-4 went progressively faster and was very pleased to learn my time.

4. Tow Rex was a little intimidating; but I put it in 4 low, engaged both lockers and let her rip. The Jeep jumped sideways off the start due to having the tow strap off center on the rear shackle mount. But once it settled down, I got back into the throttle and the rest of the pull went well. Again I was surprised by my time.

5. Water Sports was hilarious. Driving down to see the setup at the lake, Patrick and I put on our bathing suits and grabbed our towels. We were in the second heat; so after the first group of 4 went it was our turn. With Austin and Raul backing out there were only two teams in the second heat. Patrick got us off to a fast start by pushing the canoe into the water a good distance then jumping in. I paddled as quickly as I could sustain. After watching Jason and Justin's canoe turn sideways I decided to go the other way around the island. We got back and were greeted with a barrage of water by the heat one contestants. Patrick filled the bucket and we raced to the shore to fill our floaty.

6. After rain, mud and lake water a shower was in order. Patrick (in johns CJ) and I then took Raul in his Cherokee and Marcus in his 4 door rubi on a little trip down past camp 6, past get bent and decided to try squealer. Patrick and I made it up while Marcus and Raul turned around (as was the plan) to head back up to the clearing to find another trail or head back for dinner. After a while of waiting Patrick went to find them. What he found is still a bit confusing to me, but essentially we left them alone for 5 minutes and they proceeded to both get stuck. Evidently Raul got stuck and Marcus got stuck trying to recover Raul. Patrick got them both out and we returned to camp for dinner.

7. Dinner was delicious! Thank you Dion

8. After dinner, Dion wanted to take a quick 'night' run. Quite a few folks took him up on the offer and we headed out for a quick couple trails. With vehicles of various capabilities we took our time and made sure everyone was comfortable with the level of trail and they had spotters where necessary. Only ran into one hiccup with Marcus sliding off a rock and down the side of the hill a few feet. Got his rear end winched up the hill but the front was solidly stuck on a rock. After a little highlift action, rock stacking and winching we were able to get him freed up enough to back out on his own. Back to camp for drinks and lies around the camp fire.

DAY 2

9. Impaired driver; some sort of blindfolded driving was expected. What wasn't expected was the nausea that accompanied it. Patrick did an awesome job walking outside the vehicle navigating me around the cones. We made it with time to spare but wasn't sure how well (or poorly) we did compared to others. While waiting for our turn to go on the course we took a tire off and took it for a spin around the jeep.

10. Hill Climb; my plan for the hill climb was to give it one good shot, then stop and winch the rest of the way. Patrick already had a tree saver in hand and the winch was connected. We started up the hill controlled but aggressively. At the top I felt the line we were on was a good one so I punched the gas a little and up we went. I knew we had a good time but I was told Sam Drury had beat me.... I believed them.....

11. Back to camp to pack and give out trophies. After being in first place at the end of day 1 I knew we had enough points to be in the top three. I was pleasantly surprised to find out we had won.

Trip home was uneventful with a nice lunch with Marcus, Avery, John and Patrick at Chill's.

HUGE thank you to Dion, Gunny and Jason for all the hard work and preparation to set this up. Hope this is something we can continue to incorporate into our offroad trips every now and again.

Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos

Last edited by Jeepin Hokie; 05-22-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:28 AM

kellyjeep is on a distinguished road

Wow what a weekend. Way too much fun. Thanks again Gunny and Dion. The event could not have been any better. The details were captured in the other posts. A big thanks goes to my spotter. I could not have done as well as I did with out him. I would probably be still sitting by the side of the lake blowing up my inflatable if it was not for his quick thinking.

It was good to see so many members out having fun on the trails!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:31 PM
HRC CLUB MEMBER

PuddleJumper is on a distinguished road

Team Pink Poodles had its fair share of challenges throughout the weekend.... Wouldn't change a thing.

We had a blast. Day 1, we were first out the gate. Everything went well for about the first hour. Even ended up racing Steve and Patrick on the trail where Steve found out there is NO REPLACMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT! .... But that small win was short lived. We ended up somehow taking our 6k lb wide hip trail rig on an ATV trail completely off the map and inevitably getting stuck multiple times in a spot that just had mud pit after mud put. Ended up self recovering 4 separate times in about 75ft and finally getting out by going through camp4.. Somehow made it back just on time. Honestly, at this point I was pretty stoked. The knowledge to know we could self recover this big girl out the mud was reassuring.

It was pretty much down hill from there for us on the competition side of things. I kind of figured we weren't going to win when I signed up for this event. Mainly because I knew I wasn't going to push my rig as hard as some of these other guys. Even still I had a blast. And it was awesome to go to an event with such great turn out that wasn't just the Turkey Run.

My goal for the entire weekend was to make it back home in my driveway under the rigs own power. I can happily say that I accomplished that and then some. Turns out, about 5miles outside of leaving the campground, Raul's Chevy he used to tow the cherokee ended up getting a seized front caliper. We decided our best solution would be to throw the Chevy pickup on the tow dolly and have the Blazer tow it while the Cherokee followed... The Blazer towed way better than I thought.... Not great.. But it was manageable.

Only two white knuckle moments. The first being the scenic route we took back had a road closure due to high water at a bridge.. Couldn't really turn around with the tow dolly so we decided to have Raul run up and check out the obstacle. It ended up being a bridge that turned into a dam and had about 2in of water running over top. On the side where the water was pushing, there was about a 25x50ftx8ft high wall of debris that had built up and stopped by the bridge dam. It was pretty wild but we made it through safely. The second being on 695. The wind was blowing pretty good Sunday and then add in a semi blowing past you doing about 75mph in a construction zone... I felt the towed vehicle sway before my truck. Think about it like the tail wagging the dog. But all in all, we made it back safe and sound.

If someone was to ask me "what kind of weekend and events would you say you would have to go through to gain some faith in your new rig?" I couldn't think of a better answer than this trip.

Great trip over all. Learned a lot of new things. Hung around great people. Couldn't ask for better. Big thanks to everyone and esp Dion, Gunny and all the volunteers.

I think next year the volunteer route will be the way to go!
1994 Chevy Blazer - SAS'd on One Tons