Hard Rock Crawlers of Southern Maryland  

Go Back   Hardrockcrawlers > User Forum > Trips/Events

Old 07-30-2015, 08:05 AM

Little Jeep Squared is on a distinguished road
Default Big Dogs Summer Slam

Curious if any body will be attending. I am 90% sure I will be attending, just won't have a rig probably.

I am thinking of throwing my sons Liberty on the trailer and going and putting it through the paces. Stock Liberty, front end wrecked a little. Driver side tire has a bit of a lean to it but everything works. It has been sitting in my yard for 5 years +/- but I start it up every once in a while and run it around the yards and the woods.

Thinking of test fitting my 31s this weekend, maybe remove fenders for some clearance. Then go beat the snot out of this thing. My son has abandoned it basically and the bank has not seemed inclined to try and get it, not that they even know where it is.

I will be in Camp 10 with RCPFA members, I think some of you are familiar with some of the members. Come on over and meet the guys.

PS: RCPFA has access to about 70 acres in Crozet. They have been working the mountain for about 2 years now. Similar to Gore, elevation change is more extreme, very rocky. Due to past issues they are now a $250 per year club. Membership grants full access to this land. Only rule is at least 2 jeeps must be present to wheel.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Big Dogs Summer Slam

Since both XJs are down, I decided that I am going to take my sons KJ to Gore and see if it is trail rated or not. (son abandoned this vehicle about 5 yrs. ago, been sitting in my yard for 4+yrs.)

I removed front bumper and all the flares. Cut and folded pinch seam at front wheel wells on back side of tire. Installed the 31x10.50 MTZs. Took for a ride through my woods. Ran over logs and took up my small ravine, over several trees and up a small but steep hill. Draged the bottom on one log and the small hill. Lot of tire rubbing but I believe I will have a good time anyway.

Can't wait to see what this thing will do. Actually more comfortable than my XJ.

Anyone coming out? I will be leaving work about 3 p.m. on Friday. Should put me in Gore around 7 p.m. Usually several guys from RCPFA show up early too. So should be able to get a pre run in Friday evening. We will be in Camp 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150802_120637_resized.jpg (101.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20150802_120654_resized.jpg (98.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20150802_120714_resized.jpg (101.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 AM

Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road

The summer season seems to be a dead time of year for HRC wheeling events. Too hot to enjoy camping I guess. I dont know if anyone is going or not.

John K and I discussed going wheeling at the end of August / early Sept for a HRC only trip. The cove is much more enjoyable when you dont have a Big Dogs event clogging every trail up.

Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos

Last edited by Jeepin Hokie; 08-03-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:38 AM

Summer Slam usually not real crowded but I know what you mean. Being in the hills I don't remember it ever being to hot to sleep maybe just got lucky. I usually don't go the two day events but decided last minute to beat on this liberty!

Since the kids have always taken from me I figure it is time to get a payback!

Hope to have some good pics and review of how a stock liberty does on the trails.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:31 AM

I know some may be headed to Topless for TaTas this weekend. Hope everyone enjoys and stays safe.

Weather is looking awesome for this weekend so if nothing planned jump in the rig of choice and come on out to play. I have the Liberty loaded up on the new to me trailer and ready to do my own testing of the TRAIL BADGE worthiness of the Liberty.

She is stock, with a off camber front driver wheel, and stuffed my Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs up under her. 31x10.50. Cut and folded what I could of the pinch seam. Still a lot of rubbing on full turn, well not even full turn she starts rubbing. Don't care the mission this weekend is to pistol whip this thing into submission!

If anyone decides to come out, I will be at Camp 10. come on over and meet the guys from RCPFA.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:42 AM

have fun. which I was going.

TfT isnt a big event with HRC because its too crowded to enjoy RC properly.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:39 AM

saw some pictures on FB. looks like the libby did well.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:21 AM

20150807_180941_resized.jpg

20150808_090313_resized.jpg

20150808_101800_resized.jpg

20150808_110257_resized.jpg

20150808_110832_resized.jpg
Friday evening went out past camp 6 and the mud hole. Really sloppy and muddy. Ran into a group of cherokees then followed them up some hill climb and received first body damage. passenger rear door, no biggy. Impressed on how well it climbed. Saturday we did WaaHoo, Sissy and Nasty. I can not believe how well it climbed Nasty! Bumping and bouncing my head off the roof at the top side but took it. Then off to Camp 8. With a whole lot of coaxing the Liberty got up camp 8 with no winching or pulling. After lunch it was off to squeeler, down, Brakes suck on this Liberty so it was pretty hairy. After lunch I followed the guys over to Extreme. Yeah sure! made it up the first hundred yards or so and bailed to the bypass trail. Tried 3 different routes to the side. No go. Turned around and went back to camp. Stopped at food trailer. Noticed a good puddle under the Libby. slight transmission leak had turned into a good leak. So attempted rock pile before retiring to camp. Couldn't get enough rubber on the rocks to even attempt to climb up on the pile. All in all I was actually impressed by the performance. Way better than I expected.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:21 AM

20150808_125105_resized.jpgtook a chunk out of the passenger control arm but did not crack. Happened rutting up Camp 8

20150808_133323_resized.jpg

20150808_133514_resized.jpg

20150808_134118_resized.jpg Pictures on squeeler.

20150808_163858_resized.jpgEnd of my day on Extreme.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:49 AM

slorocco will become famous soon enough

Looks like it was great fun. I cant wait to get out and wheel. I haven't been out all year!