Hard Rock Crawlers of Southern Maryland  

Go Back   Hardrockcrawlers > User Forum > Product Review

Old 05-01-2014, 08:50 PM

YD215 is on a distinguished road
Default Teraflex Heavy Duty Tire Carrier

I just installed my Teraflex Tire Carrier yesterday. Very impressed with the ease of installment and quality. The guy I purchased my 07 JKU from had the 35's on the stock tire carrier. This was the first modification I made to this due to seeing the tailgate stressing. Now tailgate is happy and so am I. Tomorrow my accessory mount comes in the mail so I can mount my Hi Jack lift. Installing my CB radio Saturday. Cant wait to finally go to my first meeting and show off my new to me jeep. I would like to pick everyones head on things I can do to it. Will post some pictures this weekend when Im done installing.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:41 AM

Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teraflex Heavy Duty Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD215 View Post
I just installed my Teraflex Tire Carrier yesterday. Very impressed with the ease of installment and quality. The guy I purchased my 07 JKU from had the 35's on the stock tire carrier. This was the first modification I made to this due to seeing the tailgate stressing. Now tailgate is happy and so am I. Tomorrow my accessory mount comes in the mail so I can mount my Hi Jack lift. Installing my CB radio Saturday. Cant wait to finally go to my first meeting and show off my new to me jeep. I would like to pick everyones head on things I can do to it. Will post some pictures this weekend when Im done installing.
good deal!

keep that high lift in the garage until you go wheeling. the OEM jack will work fine to change out a tire on the road. high lifts arent the safest option and it will corrode if left on the outside of your jeep. when corroded they dont work that well when you actually need it.

I would say that the high lift is the most frequently bought but never used tool any of us buy.

Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos
Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Grumpy Old Fart

Gunny is a jewel in the roughGunny is a jewel in the roughGunny is a jewel in the rough

Don't mind steve. He has Jack envy.
What he says is correct, but the reason I wouldn't leave it on the Jeep is because someone around here would steal it. So lock it up.

Steve also brought up another good point. SAFETY

Many people act like they know what they're doing, but have no clue.

We need to have a Jeep 101 course again......

Thanks for the review YD215.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800
Old 05-02-2014, 10:29 AM

Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
Don't mind steve. He has Jack envy.
have you seen my small jack...

you would be envious too if your jack looked like mine.

in all seriousness. my highlift either stays bolted to my roll bar behind my rear bench (inside my jeep) or it stays in the garage.

of the two flats ive had offroad. i was able to use the OEM jack on the first one. I ended up using the highlift on the second one, but had to secure the jeep from falling off the jack by tying my jeep to a tree with my winch first. in hind sight we probably should have used the OEM jack.

just think about the physics involved with jacking the body high enough to get the tire off the ground, then think about jacking the axle to get the tire off the ground. the body would have to be jacked up far enough to fully extend the suspension on that side. depending on the amount of down travel you have that could be pretty far. by the time you have the jack (and jeep) up that high it can get unstable.

Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos
Old 05-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Grumpy Old Fart

Gunny is a jewel in the roughGunny is a jewel in the roughGunny is a jewel in the rough

We are getting way off topic here Steve, as the thread is about a tire carrier.
But, the Hi-Lift jack is more of a recover tool, than a tire changer.
That's all I'm going to say.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800
Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 PM

YD215 is on a distinguished road

Haha the conversation escalated quickly. See I have much to learn and I appreciate all the advice. I might get the mount that goes inside the jeep for the jack. I have also heard the metal jack will interfier with my CB antena. If i go with the inside mount i will get some Roto packs and stick it on the rack. Like I said this is new to me and I will take everyones advise and go from there. Thank you.