Hard Rock Crawlers of Southern Maryland  

Go Back   Hardrockcrawlers > User Forum > Jeep Showcase

Old 08-17-2016, 12:53 PM

Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My build

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworley View Post
That is good to know, thanks!

The gauge showed a good charge on the battery, which is only a year old. But I will look into that before buying a sensor...

The good news (if my battery is ok, that is) is Autozone has a CPS, with a two year replacement warranty for cheap (less than $100, not necessarily cheap I guess).
did you check rockauto.com?

are you talking about cam position or crank position sensors?

Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos
Old 08-18-2016, 09:26 AM

tworley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Hokie View Post
did you check rockauto.com?

are you talking about cam position or crank position sensors?
Crankshaft position sensor.

What are the symptoms of a bad cam sensor?

I took the battery in last night, had it load tested, over 12V.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Been traveling quite a bit so the jeep has been on hold. But, was able to tackle a few things over the weekend.

Found the alarm had a bad relay, which was causing some issues. Ive wanted to tear this thing out since day 1. Dont ever want to do it again though...

Old CPS sensor. I think it was fine, and will explain below

The JB super short. For 97 models, it required you to cut the old speedo connector off and install part #5014007AA. Which I did. The yoke nut needs torqued to 200 ft/lbs in order for the new speedo connector to detect the tone ring which jb uses. All of which I did and checked multiple times. My problem is still there though, it keeps dying when coming to a stop sign and my speedo will not register at all. I performed a self diag test (key on/off three times) and the computer gave me code 15. Which is speedo housing not detected. Which, from research throws a check engine light and kills the engine. So...I am going to pull the sensor out and carefully with the t-case in neutral, turn the yoke until I can feel the notch with my finger. From what I have found/read, once you feel the notch, if you cant turn it independently of the shaft, then the problem is likely the sensor is bad.

And some eye candy. My CV driveshaft lengthened to 19.5". No bind at all anymore

My pinion is still a little high in this pic, but I can dial that down pretty easily with the metalcloak adjustable arms. A trip down the highway last night and this morning produces very little vibrations at 65+. Dialing it down will help.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:46 PM

Jeepin Hokie is on a distinguished road

I hate electrical gremlins.

did you see the thread for the turkey run in November? don't want you to miss it.

Copy and paste the link to see my videos
http://vimeo.com/user6111157/videos
Old 09-01-2016, 10:29 PM

Got the speedo sorted out

Could have swore my wiring was correct, so went and bought a mopar speed sensor and still had the issue. Finally, I cracked a beer, and laid under the jeep for a long time looking things over. My original wiring was wrong The signal wire and the power wire were crossed. Re-did it all, and finally the speedo will register and no more stalling, no more check engine light. I need to clean it up a bit, when my fiance and I moved out there I packed up all my tools. So my soldering iron is in Maryland. The wiring is held by spade connectors, Id like to get them soldered on with heat shrink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin Hokie View Post
I hate electrical gremlins.

did you see the thread for the turkey run in November? don't want you to miss it.
Ill take a look at it now, havent seen it!

My original plan was to work remotely with my company since we have a project south of Baltimore. My boss decided to change his mind saying that was a step back in my career. That really threw us off and now I am stuck here in CO until I can find a new job, I dont want any gaps in my work history and am trying not to settle for anything less than my current position. So if I can get something lined up in time, count me in for the Turkey run!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:23 AM
HRC CLUB MEMBER

PuddleJumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworley View Post
My original plan was to work remotely with my company since we have a project south of Baltimore. My boss decided to change his mind saying that was a step back in my career. That really threw us off and now I am stuck here in CO until I can find a new job, I dont want any gaps in my work history and am trying not to settle for anything less than my current position. So if I can get something lined up in time, count me in for the Turkey run!
What line of work are you in? My company is just south of Baltimore in Glen Burnie, MD and we are always on the lookout for good people.
1994 Chevy Blazer - SAS'd on One Tons
Old 09-02-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddleJumper View Post
What line of work are you in? My company is just south of Baltimore in Glen Burnie, MD and we are always on the lookout for good people.
Environmental Consulting. I've got a Rangeland Ecology Degree and minor in Soil Science. Been looking at consulting companies and threw my resume out to a handful of places but havent heard back. Looking for a new job is really a full time job in itself.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:06 AM
HRC CLUB MEMBER

PuddleJumper is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately I don't think I can help then. Good luck with it though!
1994 Chevy Blazer - SAS'd on One Tons
Old 09-09-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddleJumper View Post
Unfortunately I don't think I can help then. Good luck with it though!
Thanks! Gonna need it!

Well, my check engine light came back on. Code 43 which is a cylinder misfire. The jeep is running just fine, no hesitation or anything. I did change the spark plugs with Autolite AP985s. The old ones were gapped anywhere from .30 to .44. Seems to run better with the new plugs but still have a CEL. I did a little research into it and found that the early model TJs (97/98) had a bad batch of valve springs. And by bad I mean weak. I found where several people encountered this code and tried everything before moving on to valve springs and soon as they did, the code went away. And the good news is new springs are super cheap (less than $10). So, I am not going to attempt to fix it just yet. This will be a task later on when I dont have so many things going on. Its running just fine. But, I did get out this weekend for the 2nd time this year. A very mild run

And finally, I went to install my compressor for the ARB I installed earlier this year. Thought it was really easy, plug and play, and directions were easy. However, when I put the power wire into the fuse block for the rear wiper (20 amps, and have no wiper since I have a soft top), I immediately melted the wire

So, I need to look into this. ARB says 15 amps, 12V source. The wiper was 20 amps, so that may have been my problem. Maybe. I hate electrical work.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:39 PM

Improper ground to the switches

Basically I wired the switches backwards. Once I found that out, the compressor fired right up and the power wire is fine. I kept blowing a 20 amp fuse under the good cause I was trying to tie the power switch to my cig lighter. So now that each switch is wired correctly, I am good to go

I mounted the compressor on an unused tray where the ABS would have been mounted if it was equipped

And wires routed thru the firewall and to the stock switch locations inside.